Downloading Headers and/or Articles just stops! (0 KB/sec)

cninham

Downloading Headers and/or Articles just stops! (0 KB/sec)

Post by cninham »

OK, this has me puzzled, and it happens frequently: Why would the downloading of Headers and/or Articles just stop for no apparent reason? I will have many Headers which need to be downloaded (anywhere from "hundreds" to "thousands"), and sometimes (at the same time or independently) there are many Articles to be downloaded (also anywhere from "hundreds" to "thousands") -- the download processes will chunk along, and then all of a sudden for no apparent reason NewsPro will stop downloading any and all Headers and/or Articles. When I look at the "Task Manager" the Bandwidth counter will show 0 KB/sec...! This happens often.

If I shutdown the application (a normal Exit) and restart it again immediately thereafter (allowing all the NewsPro processes to shutdown normally) the NewsPro application will continue to download the Headers and Articles as if nothing had happened...

If have looked in the logs, but there are no error messages or any other messages to indicate why the downloading has stopped.

WHY???

This does not make sense.

Thank you,

Cameron
alex

Post by alex »

what i see here sometimes the speed drops to zero, after several seconds (sometimes 10 seconds) it resumes, it seems to have something to do with the connection.

but if it doesn't resume by itself and you have to restart newspro it might be your firewall or something like that, if you have a third-party firewall or anything else that may mess with winsock try to uninstall it and check whether it happens again.

if newspro suspends tasks it gives a message box (e.g. low disk space etc)
alex

Post by alex »

just read your another post, also try to uncheck keep-alive (properties->general, look at right-bottom), if server malfunctions maybe it gets into timeout so it won't do anything during the 'read delay' - properties->tasks and then it will give the timeout error (or you can wait during the timeout to see it is the case).
cninham

Post by cninham »

Alex,

Thank you for the reply. I will try your suggestion.

P.S. When the server stops downloading the Headers and/or Articles it stops downloading completely, sometimes for several hours. It usually does resume downloading the Headers and/or Articles -- after a loooooong time, sometimes after many hours of not downloading anything. But sometimes it just "hangs" and does not resume the download of Headers and/or Articles. During this "hung" state the other functions, menus, etc are still working and I can navigate around the NewsPro application just fine.

Cameron
alex

Post by alex »

if restart fixes it it might be firewall, since with read timeout default i think it is 200 seconds, so in 3 minutes it would give the error at some point using a fresh connection.
cninham

Post by cninham »

That is wiered as I have no firewall installed except for my Linksys router. I have been using the Linksys router for MANY years and never had this problem with NewsPro before... I will check to see if I use a different USENET/NNTP service provider if I still have the same error...
Alvea

Post by Alvea »

I am having the same problem and am experimenting with the solutions you mentioned now.
alex

Post by alex »

the problem above when you have it for article tasks as well, if these are only header tasks check you don't have 100% processor usage or if you don't have enough memory (less that 512K?) - there is no disk thrashing going on when you download headers (usually then computer gets unresponsive).

but if it is for every kind of tasks it might be server problem or something on your end.