Usenet Explorer

Forums
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:44 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Restore Database
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:39 pm 

How much success do you have with restoring the NewsPro database and having most of the data intact? When I do this my number of articles drop from the tens of thousands to a few dozen. Is this by design or am I doing something wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:24 am 

if you invoke file menu->save database&restart it will restore that point, otherwise it will be the session starting point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:27 pm 

What do you mean by "session"?

NewsPro certainly does not restore itself to the state when I last started the program. I don't end up with an entirely empty database either which also seems odd. It just has a few dozen articles in various groups. Perhaps restore just restores the headers downloaded during the last session? (Not very useful if that's the case.)

I do find this an issue since my system recently automatically rebooted after a system update while running NewsPro overnight. The tens of thousands of headers previously saved in the database has been reduced to a mere dozen.

Is there any way to make the database a bit more robust so it can survive an abnormal exit from the software without losing 99% of the data?

--append--

I just read a post where the user says that database restore works fine for him. Just to be clear, I have NEVER had the database restore function restore even 1% of of my previous data. Is this working as you expect?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 1:23 pm 

I presume you're not using the database backup function . . . that is the only way, methinks, to restore back to a session start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:44 pm 

Looking at the file menu I can see Optimize, Reset and Switch. I don't see any function labelled "Backup". Are you referring to the "Save and Restart" function? This seems a bit extreme if its the only backup option. Shouldn't NewsPro save a backup on exit at the very least?

In short I think that the NewsPro database should be made robust enough to survive an abnormal termination of the program without losing nearly all the data.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 7:48 pm 

Properties->General->Database backup (checkbox on the far right).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:18 am 

Thanks for the pointer! I did find the checkbox and have turned it on. We'll see what difference it makes.

It sure was a hard to find option!