Tipperton

Ban filter

Post by Tipperton »

Simple question.

If I setup:

Code: Select all

subject contains "foo", All, Ban
subjuct contains "bar", All, Ban
Will all messeges that contain "foo" and or "bar" be killed?

Then if I add:

subject contains "foobar" All, Extract
Would that still ban messeges that contain "foo" and or "bar" but allow messeges that contain "foobar".

Bassically I have a list of words I want to kill filter, but I also have some cinditions I that want to over ride the word list and allow the messege through and I'm trying to figure out the best way to setup the kill filter.

NOTE: The quotes are just to deliminate the search word, they are not part of the filter.

Thanks.
:cool: [b]Tipperton Thistledown[/b]
[i]Seek the aid of those not men to quench the fires of war,
Else Evil triumphant will ascend and rule fore ever more.[/i]
alex

Post by alex »

you need to use boolean wildmat like

if you want to kill "groups" "question" but leave "group" and "questions"

subject contains ^groups&^question|group[^s]|questions all extract

[^s] means all but s

you need to know a bit about boolean logic and few wildmat special characters

http://www.netwu.com/newspro/wildmat.htm

for boolean wildmats (my extention of wildmats) ^ means negation, & - AND, | - NO, also you can use parentheses but here they are not necessary because & has preference over |.
Tipperton

Post by Tipperton »

How about doing it this way:

subject contains "hello", All,        Select
subject contains "foo",   Unselected, Ban
subject contains "bar",   Unselected, Ban
I'm thinking that since the word list is rather long, maintaining it would be easier if I can keep on a separate line in the filter.

This is actually a better description than the first since the messages I'd want to let through the filter would have subject content that isn't a specific word, but the subject could have a word I want to filter out.

For example: from above, a subject with "foo" or "bar" would be killed, but a subject with "hello" would be kept irregardless of whether it has "foo" or "bar" or not.
:cool: [b]Tipperton Thistledown[/b]
[i]Seek the aid of those not men to quench the fires of war,
Else Evil triumphant will ascend and rule fore ever more.[/i]
alex

Post by alex »

if it is something simple probably you can use several line filter, but i think then you cannot handle overlapped words well.

ban rather means select+ban, i.e. apply the condition to unselected and then ban applying to all resulted selected, selected/unselected came from message filter dialog when there was no filter editor, so it is more useful rather in the message filter dialog.