Slow download articles but not headers

razzam21

Slow download articles but not headers

Post by razzam21 »

I have been a long time fan of NewPro. I decided to give your newer Usenet Explorer a try. And so far I am very impressed at least for the one day that i have had it installed. I had it working great last night. I restarted my computer and now I can download headers with no problems buts the atricles that I have queued up to download are only coming down at like 1.5. I checked the properties to see if there was something that I checked that could contribute to that. But I couldn't find anything. I have thought about restarting everything to see if that fixes it. Do you have any suffestions? Or know what could be causeing the problem?
dengle

Post by dengle »

Unfortunately, without knowing more about your current network load, the load on your usenet server, how much you are uploading, etc, this is a tough one to diagnose.

I regularly download articles at over 1000KB/sec as I have a beefy download speed.

Some things off the top of my head to check are:
  • Ensure that Edit -> Properties -> Tasks -> Bandwidth Limit to is not set to a low amount.
  • It could be an issue with your Usenet Provider. Check their status page.
  • If you are uploading something at your max bandwidth (or close to it) it can choke your download speed. Ensure that nothing is uploading. I usually leave at least 10% upload bandwidth free to allow the download ACK's to be transmitted.

Post by Guest »

I am uploading nothing. And in order to check to see what the problem is I turned off everything else to eliminate as many variables as possible. I jsut downloaded all of the headers in the group and then queue up the most recent files and I am still having the same problem. The headers came down at 500K while it says that I am downloading at 1K however it just starts to download a part of the file and then stops. It is downloading .11K of a 646K part of the file and then restarts and does that all over. So I did a test and queued up the same files into NewsPro and it is downloading at 500K just like the headers did in usenet explorer. I double checked my settings in the preferences and don't have any of the bandwidth limits set.
hholland

Post by hholland »

Detech yEnc errors, untick the [strict] :)
razzam21

Post by razzam21 »

I tried all the the combinations (detect and strict unchecked, detect unchecked and strict checked, detect checked and strict unchecked and detect and strict checked) with no luck. I checked the properties of each file and the files that the program are trying to download. It lists the files and all of the parts as well as the status of each server related to each part. It goes through and each part on each server says "retries: exhausted/error"

The task manager will switches back and forth between "0% [1.84 KB of 14.8 MB] 50 pending 9 running 0 bodies 0 errors" and "0% [2.54 KB of 14.8 MB] 50 pending 9 running 0 bodies 2 errors" as though each time it tries atuomatically cancels the try so it moves on.
plasmannc

Slow article download

Post by plasmannc »

I have experienced exactly the same behavior as reported above. Headers Dl fine at about 165K/sec on my system. Initially articles seem to be okay but the slow down dramatically to anywhere from .6 to 40 K/sec.

To check out if it was my system or ISP or News service I brought up Newspro, got new headers and then selected exactly the same articles. They downloaded at 165K/sec.

All of the above was done within minutes of each other using both UE and Newspro.

Hope this is helpful
plasmannc

Slow article download

Post by plasmannc »

I have experienced exactly the same behavior as reported above. Headers Dl fine at about 165K/sec on my system. Initially articles seem to be okay but the slow down dramatically to anywhere from .6 to 40 K/sec.

To check out if it was my system or ISP or News service I brought up Newspro, got new headers and then selected exactly the same articles. They downloaded at 165K/sec.

All of the above was done within minutes of each other using both UE and Newspro.

Hope this is helpful
hholland

Post by hholland »

I don't think it is your ISP guys. Were these downloads associated with an NZB? If so, possibility the headers/bodies are simply not available on (any) of your servers at the time.

:_)
hholland

Post by hholland »

I don't think it is your ISP guys. Were these downloads associated with an NZB? If so, possibility the headers/bodies are simply not available on (any) of your servers at the time.

:_)
plasmannc

Post by plasmannc »

In my case no NZB association
alex

Post by alex »

try to uncheck prevent header overload temporarily, the option should be checked though because ue is somewhat sensitive when downloading headers but not being able to process them.

but you see the same issue with article tasks?

maybe some kind of firewall or virus scan?

processor usage is low at all times?

as to the original author of the thread, maybe it is something messing with the file system like virus scan? when downloading article tasks ue just puts article bodies right to the disk, there is no any bottleneck here, worker thread just reads from socket and writes to the disk in the next line, so if no bandwidth limit set should be very fast.

with headers it just doesn't let the program to fill memory with raw header info without processing it.
razzam21

Post by razzam21 »

I have disabled everything that is running on the computer as well as closed all applications (virus and spyware monitoring software included)

No luck still.

The first day I tried the program it worked great. Then I went to bed and got up again and have not had any luck downloading articles. The header download works perfectly. I switch to NewsPro after I work on this for an hour so that I can continue to download. So I don't think that it is a firewall issue since NewsPro works as great as it normally has. I unchecked the prevent header overload just incase. And to make sure that isn't the problem I have switch to only having one file in the queue that it is trying to download and it only has 24 parts.

I have rebooted the computer several times but still nothing.
razzam21

Post by razzam21 »

I have disabled everything that is running on the computer as well as closed all applications (virus and spyware monitoring software included)

No luck still.

The first day I tried the program it worked great. Then I went to bed and got up again and have not had any luck downloading articles. The header download works perfectly. I switch to NewsPro after I work on this for an hour so that I can continue to download. So I don't think that it is a firewall issue since NewsPro works as great as it normally has. I unchecked the prevent header overload just incase. And to make sure that isn't the problem I have switch to only having one file in the queue that it is trying to download and it only has 24 parts.

I have rebooted the computer several times but still nothing. I am also not using NZB's.
alex

Post by alex »

maybe disk fragmentation? but then it would be slowing down too much i guess, still for some case try to defragment the partition.

do you have newspro on the same partition?

as to article bodies the both programs work similarly, they just write bodies into disk as they arrive.
razzam21

Post by razzam21 »

The only difference that i am using for NewsPro and Usenet Explorer is that they are in different directory but are saving files to the same directory structure.