Slow download articles but not headers

alex

Post by alex »

you wrote:

"50 pending 9 running 0 bodies 2 errors"

if you select the entry in the task manager and then click 'properties' from the context menu, what error message it shows?

the speed is low when it retries, and no actual article body download has place, e.g. it goes to the server, it replies 'no such article' etc., the bandwidth will be low since it takes time for the server to figure it out.

or you download the same articles with newspro?
razzam21

Post by razzam21 »

I was doing a little experimenting in the properties of the article that I noticed that all of the servers said "Serve 1 retries: exhausted/error" under the Dests: section.

I reset the database this morning and started over and then selected one of the first ones downloaded.

Then I saw the Last Error part. it said that no article was found. So I found the same file in NewsPro and it downloaded it fine. Am I downloading the attachments the wrong way?
alex

Post by alex »

what server it fails?

newspro knows article numbers on every server.

in ue the same will have place only if you use 'article numbers' groups, but they are the most heavy on memory (but still take somewhat less memory comparing to newspro).

so in ue try to create an article number group - you choose the newsgroup destination type from the combo box in the enter name dialog) with the same name (just add 'artilce numbers' to the newsgroup nick to discern it), then change in properties->articles->download bodies, preferred method to "article number" - btw. before you change it - it should be "message-id" (not "msg-id direct" since "msg-id direct" could give no such article errors with wider range of servers) and if it works then it is a problem with your server.

so it looks like it is your problem, again the only thing ensure in properties->articles->download bodies you didn't switch it to "msg-id direct" before starting experiencing the problem, since some servers don't take it well, and if it doesn't work with "message-id" it means the server doesn't want to download by message-id even after joining the group.
razzam21

Post by razzam21 »

I have six servers that frequently all have the same file. Under the Dest section of the articles properties all of the servers are listed. UE goes through each one and marks each of them exhaust for each of the parts of the article. The last error always gives one of the servers and error 430 no such article found. I have tried all of the article download types with program restarts in the middle.
alex

Post by alex »

i'll try to expain again.

when you create a newsgroup there is a message box in the bottom.

article numbers
message-id
msg-id direct
compact binary

for new ue installation compact binary is default so most probably it is what you are using.

so to verify it is the problem, e.g. if your newsgroup is alt.binaries.boneless you press again 'new newsgroup' and enter in the

name

alt.binaries.boneless

nick

alt.binaries.boneless (article numbers)

and select 'article numbers' in the combo box and press ok.

it gives a warning that the newsgroup with this name already exists but then you press ok and it creates another group with the same name.

then you go to properties->articles->download bodies and select 'article number'

then you download headers and try to download bodies and it should work like in newspro.

just replace alt.binaries.boneless with the newsgroup you are referring.
razzam21

Post by razzam21 »

Thanks that expliantion was great. Sorry I am so dense.

Will this new method take up more HD space then compact way?
How does it compare to NewsPro or is it exactly the same?
alex

Post by alex »

if you use the article numbers destination type with article number download body method it will work like what newspro is working in the worst case.

all but compact binary ways will take much more space for binary groups, although for text and relatively small newsgroups all types can be used, msg-id direct as most economical to always to show threads of replies and only article number type can synchronize header expiration with the server, but again, it takes the most space.