Usenet Explorer

edfreeman

Usenet Explorer

Post by edfreeman »

I downloaded the trial version of UE last night, and it seems to handle the big binary groups much better than Newspro. I've used Newspro for years, and have always had to set retention down to 3 or 5 days in order to escape database errors or long delays in loading the program (with backup), filtering, opening folders, etc., but still consider it to be the best reader available. Even with the retention set down, though, it does take awhile to do some of those operations.
Usenet Explorer is said to manage the database differently, but there's not much information about the differences and/or the performance gains. I'm wondering if someone can publish the differences in basic terms along with the performance gains that result (perhaps in the form of how much the database size is reduced for a large binary group, speed increases for basic operations, etc.) I guess, in a nutshell, I'd like to hear the "sales pitch" for upgrading/swapping from Newspro to UE.
Thanks in advance. Keep up the good work.
alex

Post by alex »

such information you can find in the UE.txt file, at least regarding the changes in behaviour, the best way to see the differences maybe to run the program with maximal load you can get, but taking into account what is described in UE.txt file especially as to the newsgroup destination type set during its creation.

fault tolerancy means the ability to restore the state to the moment prior to the crash or if system crashed or there was power interruption - to the moment the newsgroup has been saved in the last time plus all bodies downloaded until the last moment.