To see all articles I have Downloaded in the past...

joesloppy

To see all articles I have Downloaded in the past...

Post by joesloppy »

So if I understand this correctly, to see all articles I have Downloaded in the past, I just click, EDIT, GLOBAL MESSAGE FILTER, then give it a name, pick MESSAGES WITH BODIES, and then EXTRACT and finally CLOSE.

I have done this and downloaded articles do come up after that in the window, just making sure this is the correct way to do this.
alex

Post by alex »

yes, it can be done this way to show all articles with bodies in the database.
voripteth

Post by voripteth »

:?: Clarification, just what IS a message with a body?

I assumed it was a message with an attachement. Is this correct?

Is it possible to have a message with a body and not have it downloaded? If so, then just selecting messages with bodies won't give a list of files that Joe has downloaded in the past.

:idea: A small help file describing all the controls in the filter dialog would help greatly. (Yes, it looked at the filter section on http://www.usenetopia.com but it wasn't enough.)
Tha*Lunat!k

Post by Tha*Lunat!k »

A message with a body is an article for which you have downloaded the body from your server. Headers are just overviews and have just a few lines and fields, retrieving the entire article is to download the body (all headers and contents of the message).

If you filtered for "Messages" "Are" "With bodies" you would get any article for which you have downloaded some or all of the pieces, if it's a multipart, or text articles which have their bodies downloaded.

A multipart file with 3 out of 50 total pieces downloaded would show up.
A multipart file with all pieces downloaded would show up.
A text article that has been downloaded would show up.

If you delete the bodies of any of these they won't contain a body any longer (Del with single-part files, Shift-Del with multiparts).
[img]http://graphics.thalunatik.com/sig6.png[/img]