Crashes

gn168872

Crashes

Post by gn168872 »

Hi

Fisrt I realy like newspro and the user interface, but resently I ran into trouble !
I have an account with giganews and checked a few groups, one 7+ million headers, other 9+ million headers.
When downloding from these I find newspro to crash alot !
Sometimes getting headers sometimes saving, never downloading however ?!?

My system is a P4 3GHZ , 3 GB of RAM, and about .8 TB of Harddrive

I ran Newspro on my other PC P4 3GHZ 1GB ram system but XP pro not home and on that alot more Unstable.

I have been using Newspro for A lot of years on a P2 300MHZ downloading small files with no problem, but DVD's or what ever I can't seem to get newspro to work.

Have I reached a limit with newspro or do I need to change something in windows XP, I recently added the 2x1 GB RAM as I thought that was the problem but no luck.

Carsten
MrEman

Post by MrEman »

You may have reached the limit for NP (most likely)

DVD groups are usually very large and can easly max out the NewsPro/Windows limitations. :(

Try Usenet Explorer :D
If you like NewsPro you will love UE.....

No such limitations with implemantation of Compact Binary thanks to Alex
>Much< faster overall performance

Try the free trial version....
You will never go back after UE....
Gary Gnews

Post by Gary Gnews »

I believe that MrEman is correct.

I am not a coder, so forgive me if my non-programmer understanding of this problem with NP isn't perfect. In any case, the way I understand it, NP used MS libraries that, in effect, dramatically limit the size of the database. Once you have reached that peak limit, NP will crash with an error that includes something like "try setting maximum database size to xxxMB or adjust retention or max headers settings" (that's not at all verbatim, but words to that effect).

If, for some reason, you resist moving over to UE (which solves this problem and GREATLY outperforms NP in speed and reliability), you might want to look into splitting your database and running multiple instances of NP. There are plenty of threads on how to do this, as well as notes in the NP help files. You will basically install several copies of NP, each with their own databases, and each copy containing a limited number of your groups. You can then run them one at a time (or several instances at once) without maxing out the smaller databases. Of course, if those databases get too big, you'll have to split again. Before switching to UE, I had 7 instances of NP installed and running 24-7 with auto-get/watch enabled. Needless to say, my HD ran constantly and my resources were tapped. I now subscribe to more groups with greater retention using one instance of UE with one database, and my system resources are barely tapped. It really is worth the move over to UE.

Most of us who used NP for years struggled with the same problem you're having, and I believe it is one of the main reasons why Alex started over with UE. I know that he told me he was doing a ground-up rebuild of his usenet client at least 2 years ago, so I believe UE has been some time in development. It was worth it...it really is the Usenet Super-app.
-- GG
Bert

Post by Bert »

I am sure Usenet Explorer solves all mentioned problems.

I can't think of any reason one would stick to NewsPro.