Please need help: big crash with NewsPro

francesco34

Please need help: big crash with NewsPro

Post by francesco34 »

Hi,

I'll try to explain clearly (sorry for my poor english, i'm not english).

I had a crash with NP, it froze XP and i had to reboot manually.
After this, I cant launch anymore the program. I got the error: "Mapping Failure: CreateFileMapping failed with the system error: corrupted file"

After many tries i got to be convinced that the bad files are from a newsgroup in the Data directory: the files with $Author etc...
I tried to move the files, impossible. I tried to erase them, they come back each time. I can delete all the other files, and even after a reboot, it's impossible to delete these files, and impossible to delete the folder.

What should I do?
alex

Post by alex »

try to check and fix file system for errors in windows explorer for the newspro database partition, newspro just returns the system error message.

if newspro froze the system it is not newspro but some third party application probably firewall or antivirus since newspro own code cannot crash the system in principle.

also unrelated check newspro download area there is unlimited trial of usenet explorer for newspro users it is many times much faster and takes tens times less memory than newspro.
francesco34

Post by francesco34 »

BTW, I re-installed NP in another drive, then just moved the old data directory without the corrupted files, it seems to work again.
Also another thing, I had a database too big for my drive and my memory, so I set the hdr.dat size to 250Mb max. I had my crash afterwards. Is there a link?
alex

Post by alex »

corrupted file means corrupted file.

if disk space is not enough there will be another error message, i don't remember exactly like there is no enough space or disk full, but it can be understood (it is just the system error message shown after a system function returned error).