Slow speed in newsgroups

francesco34

Slow speed in newsgroups

Post by francesco34 »

Hello

I have a very slow speed (not regular) downloading in newsgroups, using 2 different servers (from 2 companies).

I was wondering if there is any possiblity tht NewsPro causes these problems or if the cause comes only from my ISP. I am checking every possiblity.

thank you
francesco34

Post by francesco34 »

Well I answer my own question, it seems Newspro has nothing to do with my speed problem. My ISP has setup a new politic and it limits speed for ports and programs for newsreading and p2p. And when you call the hotline they say they dont do anything and invite you to check all your installation!
They will loose clients...
The Cat

Post by The Cat »

Which ISP do you use? I was wondering if we use the same. Speed is a little bit slow lately.
alex

Post by alex »

if they discrminate only by ports and not by download amount you can try to use alternative ports.

if they analyze headers you can use SSL, if you are using a commercial provider which doesn't have it find one which does (but since you may not the details how the bandwidth is limited - your ISP may e.g. include IP addresses of major usenet providers into their bandwidth limit list).

UE has built it SSL, with NewsPro you can engage SSL through stunnel.

or just find another ISP which doesn't limit bandwidth if possible.
RogMar

Post by RogMar »

I know this is an old thread, but maybe somebody could give me a suggestion.

I use newspro, and have for a very long time.

My ISP is Wildblue...pretty much all the choice I have in the sticks.

I've been with Wildblue well over a year, and had no problems until right around the start of last fall. Sometimes my downloads through newspro runs fine, sometimes not. Sometimes a download will start at my top speed of ~500 k, then drop to between 10 and 200 k, sometimes swinging very erratically.

So, I called Wildblue support, and the tech says, "I think something else is running".

So..OK, I flatten and rebuild. Clean machine. It does the same thing.

So I change my usenet provider from Usenetserver, to Giganews, figuring that's the problem.

Same thing.

So I run Newspro through the Giganews accelerator to get SSL support into Giganews.

Switch ports.

Same thing.

Now, the strange thing is, I can runa large speed test at testmy.com, and everything looks good. Downloading updates, everything looks good.

It's *just* when I use Newspro.

Anybody got a suggestion to try?

Thanks.
alex

Post by alex »

most likely your ISP caps download speed.

you may try to change ports first from 119 to some other port which your usenet provider supports.

if it doesn't work try to use SSL, usenet explorer has it built in, newspro you need to use stunnel, you can try stunnel first (search for it on internet, you need to redirect ports in newspro to stunnel and run stunnel connecting to your news server) at least to see if it will help.

secondly they may limit download speed over the same connection if you download too much through it, to explore whether it is the cause uncheck "keep alive" in properties->general (i think in newspro it is in properties->general as well).

it is all if you are talking about downloading article bodies as well, as to headers when newsgroup size rises newspro tends to slow down (with latest processors maybe the slowness is less but still it is there because it is in design) since the framework was written for pre-2004 usenet volumes, if downloading bodies is fast but only headers are slow you can also play with header overload option in properties->tasks, as to article bodies the usenet explorer/newspro speed is roughly the same, because nothing to sort out there.

your second post i will answer through pm.
RogMar

Post by RogMar »

Thanks, Alex. I had tried that, I implemented Giganews' accelrator tool which let me change ports and use SSL. It didn't seem to make any difference.

It's just weird, becasue I might be downloading at 20k for a period of time, then it will shoot up to 550k for awhile, then down and up in a cycle.