Is there a way to signal when downloads are complete?

ChuckR

Is there a way to signal when downloads are complete?

Post by ChuckR »

I'm trying to figure out a way to get around the download limits imposed by my ISP. The limit covers all traffic, not just newsgroups, and some subscribers believe the ISP programs the cablemodem to collect this data, and then polls the modem periodically to retrieve it.

If that's true, and if the traffic data is held in volatile memory, and finally if the polling period is not more frequent than perhaps every hour or so, then it may be possible to substantially reduce the reported traffic simply by powering the modem down immediately after downloading newsgroup binaries.

I don't know what related features Alex may be planning for future versions, but I just wondered if there is anything currently in Newspro that would cause it to, for example, play a sound when the download queue has emptied, or call some other program at that time. Or perhaps there is something in Windows (98SE) or some other network monitoring program which could detect when when the network transmit function has gone idle.

I haven't found anything in NewsPro so far, but my suspicion is that there is some Windows-related way to get this done. Anyone have an idea?
alex

Post by alex »

All packets to the modem go through a router (on their side), it is not a problem to count everything at this point given the IP address fields in every packet, it is unlikely the modem reports anything.

There is a function 'finish all tasks and disconnect' but it is for RAS devices (modem, ISDN and some types of DSL - using dial-up).

If it is badly needed contact me by email (I remember you asked for it also on the previous forum), I'll try to find time for a custom fix, just it doesn't look like a widely requested feature.
ChuckR

Post by ChuckR »

Thanks for your response.

We've been getting repeated hints from the cable company techs that they do actually use the modem. Of course nobody knows for sure, but apparently there is a DOCSIS feature which directs the modem to accumulate the volume of traffic in both directions. When polled, the modem reports those values and resets the counter.

It certainly would be a better system if they accumulate the data at the head end, but you just never know.

Don't bother with a special fix. I just thought there might be something already there - for some other purpose - that I could use. Maybe I can do something with the output from Netstat -e. Perhaps monitor that and make a sound when it stops changing.
Unkel_Slam

Try this

Post by Unkel_Slam »

You might try DUMeter. If I recall I think it has an audible alarm when a user set limit is reached. :arrow: www.dumeter.com