Some Problems and Issues With Usenet Explorer

tug_hill2

Some Problems and Issues With Usenet Explorer

Post by tug_hill2 »

hello group, i've been using ue for only a few weeks, but here are a few issues that i have encountered...

get rid of that dialog box, that pops up after each download - the program should auto mark the posts as read and delete the body.
it really gets annoying after going through a few dozen newsgroups.

all posts in a group should be marked as old automatically when the group is closed. (the program is supposed to do the work - not me.

big problem - i'll hilight 50 or 100 posts and download the bodies, then when i go to save the bodies, not all the posts are downloaded. there is usually 1 or 2 that have not been saved to disc. and yes, note that i use the download header, then i click on save attachments.

if i delete all the posts in a newsgroup, the post count does not accurately reflect this.

workspace - newsgroup list does not aleays show the post count. also, why doesn"t the psot count show up after each server? it is a good gauge when making a 'which server to get rid of' decision.

weird things.... one group has 25 headers, ue indicates: 36,462 headers.

where is the "attach all servers to all newsgroups" command?

how about adding the capablilty to shorten newsgroup names.... example: instead of alt.binaries.my,newsgroup.name it would read: a.b.my.newsgroup.name.

many items in ue have a default tab, but the default is not explained.

i found the old man icon to manually mark all posts as read, but why can't the program do this once the newsgroup is closed - ot when another newsgroup is opened.

big annoyance, i do not want those newsgroup or picture tabs to appear at the top of the subject bar. any way to turn it off?

o.k. whew as i mentioned, a few isues/problems

tug_hill2
;-)
alex

Re: Some Problems and Issues With Usenet Explorer

Post by alex »

you need to do some customization in properties, since i don't know every user preferences.

i also changed phrases in capital letters to a lower case, do you want me and others who read your post to have a heart attack? :)
get rid of that dialog box, that pops up after each download - the program should auto mark the posts as read and delete the body.
it really gets annoying after going through a few dozen newsgroups.
edit menu->properties->articles, saving attachments.
all posts in a group should be marked as old automatically when the group is closed. (the program is supposed to do the work - not me.
edit menu->properties->general->mark new headers old on close view
big problem - i'll hilight 50 or 100 posts and download the bodies, then when i go to save the bodies, not all the posts are downloaded. there is usually 1 or 2 that have not been saved to disc. and yes, note that i use the download header, then i click on save attachments.
there are all saved but there was a problem prior to v1.15 that few bodies weren't marked/read deleted, now it is fixed.
if i delete all the posts in a newsgroup, the post count does not accurately reflect this.
deleting means marking deleted (if you check 'del' in the quick filter bar you'll see the headers are still there). for compact binary newsgroup type it is the best way to keep database small, for other newsgroup types (which are not good for large binary groups though) you can purge headers, then the headers will be permanently gone.
workspace - newsgroup list does not aleays show the post count. also, why doesn"t the psot count show up after each server? it is a good gauge when making a 'which server to get rid of' decision.

weird things.... one group has 25 headers, ue indicates: 36,462 headers.
when newsgroup is not loaded, the post count is not known.
it shows the number of headers in the group, not the number of post, to see the number of posts press ctrl+a, you'll see it in the title bar.
where is the "attach all servers to all newsgroups" command?
newsgroups->context menu->advanced->attach all servers or
servers->context menu->advanced->attach all newsgroups
how about adding the capablilty to shorten newsgroup names.... example: instead of alt.binaries.my,newsgroup.name it would read: a.b.my.newsgroup.name.
enter nicks, if you didn't enter nick use context menu->advanced->rename, also context menu->advanced use nicks should be checked (but it is default)
many items in ue have a default tab, but the default is not explained.
default is the topmost entry in the list (properties->newsgroups and properties->post?)
i found the old man icon to manually mark all posts as read, but why can't the program do this once the newsgroup is closed - ot when another newsgroup is opened.
edit menu->properties->general->mark new headers old on close view
(you mentioned already)
big annoyance, i do not want those newsgroup or picture tabs to appear at the top of the subject bar. any way to turn it off?
to uncheck view menu->tabbed frame?