Saving to USB drive in Win7

Mierzoet

Saving to USB drive in Win7

Post by Mierzoet »

Hi.

For a number of days now, I have found the UE does not Check/Repair Correctly on Par2 files.

I have attached an NZB file of a download that is not processed correctly by UE.

UE tells me that all rar files are 100% OK.
So it deletes all .NZB and .PAR2 files.
Then proceeds in unraring, ending up with a fail. (cnc or password incorrect error).
When I then clear the files from the repair/unpack tab, and remove them from Import.
And manually download the par files and let quickpar process them, it finds some corrupt files, and repairs them.

I have never had any problems with repairing by UE before.
And since PAR is unchanged, I wonder what is going on.

thanx.

grtz,
Twan

[edit] Mhhh seems to be the exact same problem as http://www.usenetexplorer.com/forum/vie ... =11&t=3192.
I'm on Win7 32bit with external USB HD (my internal HD is limited, as it is a Laptop).

[edit2] Now when I save to local, and unrar to external, this is fine as wel. Still strange though, I have this complete HW and UE setup with XP for almost 2 years. No problem what so ever. So recently I installed (a legitimate Win7Enterprise32bit) Win7 and now run into problems with repairing to external USB drive. Going to try to run UE from external drive as well, and see what happens.

[edit3] Running UE and DB from External drive. Saving to External Drive, Unrar to External Drive. All seems well.
So it appears that the following combination has problems with repairing:
1)Win 7
2)Running UE + DB from local drive
3)Saving and repairing to External USB device
If you change either one of 1,2 or 3 its just fine, operation is 100%. But this combination is a dead killer when repairing. If nothing needs to be repaired it is fine as well.

I think this has to be a problem within UE somehow. As saving and unrar is fine. Quickpar (running from local) to external is also fine. Only when repairing from UE running from local on Win7 it fails (completely (none of the repair tasks are actually repaired)).

Still testing.
alex

Re: Saving to USB drive in Win7

Post by alex »

UE has nothing to do with that since on the application level there is no difference between regular and USB hard drive, must be something below the application level.

Quickpar writes in a single stream, to reduce probability you may try to use more or less single save stream by unchecking bypass database storage, since then UE writes in a single stream if you don't keep the database on the USB drive. Also take into account that UE doesn't always need to read files since it can check if files are ok while writing them and if there is some problem and files land on the disk corrupted because of some hardware or driver problem UE cannot possibly know that, in short UE only knows what it was writing, not what landed on the disk (but you can reload the par2 set - the add function - into UE so it will reread the files like Quickpar does).

Try to recreate the problem without UE by copying multiple files at the same time (many copying processes, approximately the same as UE number of article running tasks) and then comparing the source and the destination, you can generate par2 file to check all files at the destination fast.
victor.alberts

Post by victor.alberts »

Hi Alex,

Over the past months I have been facing similar problems using Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bits) and downloading files to external drives (both USB 2.0 and SATA). After spending lots of time and efforts on troubleshooting this issue, I found out that it was Microsoft Security Essentials which was interfering somehow with UE, causing many failed downloads. My solution: turn off Microsoft Security Essentials's Real-time protection (temporarily) in its Settings menu.

Question regarding UE's Error log:
Is there any way to increase the debug level of UE's Error log so that you can check afterwards which downloads were successful and which failed (including reason why)? If not, could you please implement this in UE?

Request regarding UE's Search service:
It would be nice to be able to refresh the Search results in its own tab e.g. by right-clicking the tab and then choose refresh or update, rather than have to perform the same Search again, resulting in several tabs based on the same Search, which I consider confusing.

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,
Victor Alberts.
alex

Post by alex »

There was a thread but it is from October, 2009 so would be fixed by now.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/prot ... 3428abe163

Another thread suggests updating driver:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... d2724b07ef

So it might be rather a driver issue.

If to search on the Internet there are many discussions on the topic.

As to the UE download errors - you can see in tasks menu->task manager, the red question error sign pane second next after the Articles pane (red when error list not empty, grey when empty). Also recent failed article errors are listed in the console pane.

Search tabs you can close by doubleclicking, the refresh function is possible to implement but I'm not sure how frequently it would be needed, the search view tabs are transient and don't last through program restart.
victor.alberts

Post by victor.alberts »

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your reply including interesting information from other people facing similar issues.

Regarding the UE download errors:
Fair enough, you can see UE download errors in tasks menu->task manager, however I do prefer detailed (debug) log files in combination with grep to see what actually happened, especially when things go wrong and you don't have a clue why. Hence my question. Now that everything seems to work fine, this has become of minor importance.

Regarding the Refresh option in Search tabs:
I would really appreciate if you could implement the Refresh option in Search tabs (time and resources allowing, of course). I am pretty sure it's not only me, since when I discussed this "missing feature" with other UE users, they all agreed with me that it definitely would make sense to have it available within UE. Hopefully this will suffice to motivate you! ;-)

Thanks!

Kind Regards,
Victor.