UE system files

iliasgr

UE system files

Post by iliasgr »

I had a system crash and the downloads tab and articles tab (queue) in the task manager are now empty. I also believe I lost the status of some headers (previously downloaded and deleted headers now reappeared as old). Running chkdsk found some errors with some UE system files, namely:

art.sdb
mex.sdb
nid.sdb
pst.sdb
str.sdb
uta.sdb
utq.sdb

Obviously now, I am wondering what else I may have lost. Can someone explain what each of these files are, and what information they hold?

TIA
alex

Re: UE system files

Post by alex »

The directory you refer to is ue database directory/newsgroups/<number> or tm. The files contain information about newsgroup headers, those in the tm subdirectory - about task manager. You can repair the files and see what is left there, your you can delete them, information about headers in the newsgroup may be lost, you can open map.txt file to see the number - newsgroup name correspondence.

If you don't need old headers you can delete the whole Newsgroups folder.
iliasgr

Post by iliasgr »

Alex, I will come back to this with a related question.

I must say that I have been UE for many years (and NewsPro before that) and UE has been an incredibly solid app for me, especially considering the complexity. In all these years with UE, maybe it crashed 4-5 times, which for me is amazing.

Today I closed UE and 10 minutes later I started again, but as soon as it was loaded it beeped and completely frozed (not responding to clicks or anything) while loading the queue. I terminated it and tried restarting it several times with the same result.

Then I went to the Newgroups\tm folder and renamed the mit.sdb file to mit.sdb_backup and restarted UE. This time it loaded but the queue, failed articles and download tabs in the task manager were empty.

Alex, could you please give a description what each of the files in the Newsgroups\tm folder holds? This info would be very helpful for me.

Thanks mate

-ilias.
alex

Post by alex »

Check log.txt, if you see something there pm or email it to me, maybe some record in a settings file got corrupted in a way I don't know about, even in such cases it is supposed to start with omission of corrupted data.
alex

Post by alex »

You mentioned failed articles. I checked the code if in str.sdb which in part keeps failed articles error messages, some message record or whole file is corrupted, the program handled that, but didn't set some other variable right. I don't remember such error occuring in the past, I'll amend the code.

If you have antivirus or something else which may mess with files ensure it doesn't scan at least UE database Settings and Newsgroups folders its subdirectories.

How newsgroup files are organized doesn't really matter, what is important if you delete files there or they are corrupted the program may lose headers in the newsgroup but it will still start, there is nothing to fix in the files themselves, since UE checks them for consistency on load.

Update: I resolved it in v3.3