Maximum number of headers?

krdu

Maximum number of headers?

Post by krdu »

I had a trajedy and lost all my music, so I decided to try to rebuild the collection. I started by getting as many headers as possible for the group alt.binaries.mp3.classic-rock and dropped them into UE - the intent was to delete all files without tags and merely automatically rename and sort them by the tags. I figured this would give me a good starting point - I expected UE to bog down a la Newspro, but after about 5 minutes of complaining it settled down and proceeded to download about 3 terrabytes of files (about 120,000 seperate files, each with multiple parts of course,) at 30 Megabits per second and gracefully allowed me to use the system as usual for other tasks. I figure this was 10 million or more headers.

I would like to do this with Jazz, Blues, and possibly classical, which have considerably more headers. My quesion is, what is the absolute most number of headers I can get, the furthest date I can get, and what settings do I need to change to get it to do this? I assume that Jazz might be as much as 8 or 10 terrabytes. I have a high-end system with an I7 and 8GB ram.

(Newsbin Pro download 10 million headers on a laptop in one fell swoop? Ya, in yer dreams.)
alex

Re: Maximum number of headers?

Post by alex »

Use the default compact binary newsgroup type.

To maximize number of headers better to use 64 bit version.

As to marking for download, UE loads information about parts for the whole queue, it means 14M queued headers (parts) take maybe around 1.5GB of RAM, thus maybe to queue some reasonable amount to download at a time.
mrqaffe

Re: Maximum number of headers?

Post by mrqaffe »

I am starting to get more and more errormessages about that i have to decrease retention for big groups, this is an increasing problem, and i would like a way to get the maximum number of headers "automaticaly", if i understood it rigth in another thread there is a databasefile limit on 34Gbyte, this limitation is starting to make problems in many groups as retention increases.
It would be nice if the program deleted the oldest headers or even better if it could handle al headers availible.