Is there a way to support playback will downloading ?

shak

Is there a way to support playback will downloading ?

Post by shak »

Hello!

I was wondering if there is a way to support it ? Maybe extract the files as downloading and so to be able to play with vlc.

Thanks !
alex

Re: Is there a way to support playback will downloading ?

Post by alex »

Currently you can doubleclick the first rar in the unpack panel then in winrar you can extract it with ignore errors option then preview it. The first rar is marked for download first.

I'm not sure if it is possible to implement play while downloading, if vlc can play a file which is being written to start with.
swent

Re: Is there a way to support playback will downloading ?

Post by swent »

There are archives of two particular authors, posting frequently, that with UE "Auto-Unrar" selected, do extract after each volume is written.
VLC does build an index in memory for incomplete media, but I'm not sure it will do that without user interaction. Timing is important as volumes must be complete on the server, and a few rars should be complete/extracted before initiating playback.
(I've often wondered why UE extracts those particular authors posts in progress, and not any of the many others posted).
Especially with large volumes, extra system resources are used by Unrar during download, and two complete copies of the same file are produced.
With volumes in the half gigabyte range, and completed files of tens of gigabytes, the whole process may result in choppy/interrupted playback of media files.
Clients with integrated (Mencoder) playback can be found on the web, including one portable, but you'll still need UE to create the complete/custom NZB required. Website NZB files aren't always reliable.
I found it easier to use just UE and wait the few minutes it takes to complete the download before using the files.