UnRAR progress bar inaccurate

WasabiNME

UnRAR progress bar inaccurate

Post by WasabiNME »

I usually only download full Blu-ray rips lately, so the behavior of the progress bar where it zips up to 100% almost immediately then spends the rest of the time stuck there is a lot more noticeable since it can take quite a bit of time to finish. I can't even try to guess how far along it is.
alex

Re: UnRAR progress bar inaccurate

Post by alex »

UE just runs unrar, unrar returns progress.

But we need to check it is not windows handling of progress bar, can you give me an example, here or better email screenshots, I'll check if the same is here.
WasabiNME

Post by WasabiNME »

Sorry for the delay. I don't download 50GB posts that often. And the one I just downloaded didn't misbehave this time under my watchful eye :lol:

Does unrar provide progress by percentage of files unrared rather than actual bytes unrared? If that's the case, unraring Blu-ray with a couple hundred small files followed by one huge movie .m2ts file could make the progress bar seem very lopsided as say 267 of 268 files were already processed, but the 268th file was 48GB in a 50GB archive.
alex

Post by alex »

It is difficult to tell, there is a callback function from winrar which provides the progress, unrar is third party code (but I fixed several bugs there). Ideally it should work the same as in winrar of the same build, but there are differences.

If the progress bar works ok otherwise and winrar shows the progress correctly then it is some peculiarity with the code of the unrar library.
WasabiNME

Post by WasabiNME »

I think it's just multi-part rars created with RAR 5.0. I've created some with passwords and they all behave the same way. I'll play around and see if I can narrow it down more. Nothing created with RAR 2.0 behaves improperly.
WasabiNME

Post by WasabiNME »

Any updates on this? It definitely is WinRAR 5.0 archives that don't display the progress properly. Some extraction operations can easily take upwards of 45 minutes (especially if the poster is one of those nitwits who doesn't use store mode on something that's already compressed). It would be nice knowing how far along it is.