UE not repairing file sets that should be repairable

tomhock

UE not repairing file sets that should be repairable

Post by tomhock »

For a few months now, I am constantly running into the same problem. I will download a big rar set, and after all the files come in the result will be the message "bad crc or password" (or something like that). I am almost always able to repair these files manually by downloading (re-downloading?) some par files (into another folder at first) and then running the Multi-Par utility. Usually it will report one or two of the smallest files missing (the "info" file usually) and one or two "damaged" files. All this "damage" usually amounts to 100mb or less on a set that might be several GB with many times more par files than I need to repair it.

My question is why isn't UE repairing these files in the first place? I've been using it for several years, and it's only been in the last few months this has been happening. In the past, I only had to manually repair 5-10% of the sets I downloaded. Now it's about 50%.
alex

Re: UE not repairing file sets that should be repairable

Post by alex »

Do you force unrar while the files are shown as damaged?

If you redownload&save par2 files with UE into the same folder, it should be able to repair files as well, but it would mean also that the files were corrupted while being downloaded (third party antivirus, firewall, etc).

Is the source of the downloads conventional or some kind of nzb website which posts to the usenet and then makes nzb files available to their members?
tomhock

Post by tomhock »

alex wrote:Do you force unrar while the files are shown as damaged?

If you redownload&save par2 files with UE into the same folder, it should be able to repair files as well, but it would mean also that the files were corrupted while being downloaded (third party antivirus, firewall, etc).

Is the source of the downloads conventional or some kind of nzb website which posts to the usenet and then makes nzb files available to their members?
After I have repaired the files manually (and multipar says they are compete), I then typically force UE to unrar them instead of going to Winrar. I don't force it before I've gotten new pars and done the manual repair.

I usually download (redownload) the par files in another folder first. I got conditioned to doing that a long time ago because sometimes par2 files would just disappear if I tried downloading them into the same directory a second time.

Whenever possible, the "source" for my files is the UE search function. I never willingly use an NZB search engine because they almost never do as good a job as UE in finding all the associated files. About the only time I use an NZb search engine is when UE search is offline. I love your search function, and it's probably the main thing that keeps me paying for your product instead of finding a free reader.

As I write this, Multipar is repairing a file under the exact circumstances I have described. UE reported a corrupt rar set, and MP showed a missing nfo file, a missing sfv file, and one "damaged" rar file -- just a few kb altogether. Now that I've repaired those, UE will be able to unrar the file, but my question is why it couldn't have repaired them in the first place.

After I spot the UE error, when I looked int he download folder (before I downloaded the par files again), there were no par files there, including the par2. Based on what I've seen, I've always assumed that UE doesn't download the par files unless it thinks it needs them. So I'm assuming that the problem here is that it is not recognizing that there's any broken files until it tries to unrar the set.

I've been using UE for years, and this particular problem only started a few months ago.
alex

Post by alex »

In edit menu->properties->save/unpack, unpack, do you have "Clear other files after repair" checked and "Other" files defined as *.nfo|*.sfv?

Maybe UE repairs the files, clears those files, but .rar files are being corrupted in the process.

If it is the case - try to exclude the directories where UE repairs the files from antivirus check and ensure multipar doesn't track those files at the same time.

Also in the same properties area is "Verify files after repair" checked? Maybe UE will catch the failed repair due to third party application file corruption if it is.