UE Running on Ubuntu (Linux)

Glamdring

Re: UE Running on Ubuntu (Linux)

Post by Glamdring »

Larry,

Have you tried following WineHQ Wiki FAQ point 10.4.6 for the corrupted text?

Please let me know if that works.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

Good find! But... didn't help - made all the text sort of washed out, but the problem of displaying a text message is still there.

Very suspicious that the article does mention nVidia and that's what my system has, but I've tried it both with the proprietary drive and the generic.

Think you could, ya know, just for fun, down load a text message, doesn't have to be big, and see if it comes up nice and clean for you?
Glamdring

Post by Glamdring »

I have added a text only server and subscribed to a text group.

With me, the text messages just display fine.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

Bummer. Well no, good for you, I assume then that you aren't using an nVidia based video card?

I was hoping that maybe Alex could insert some form of "clear screen" in the code as its the image under the window that isn't getting cleared out completely by the new window.

thanks for trying that out
Larry
Glamdring

Post by Glamdring »

I am using built-in Intel Graphics.
alex

Post by alex »

LarryM wrote:Okay, I revise my description of the split screen being "scrambled". What it actually look like is some of the screen that was behind it didn't get erased. See screen shot.

Larry
I've sent you pm with a link.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

For those of you with interest - I've upgraded from Ubuntu 17.04 to 17.10 and switched from using Crossover to PlayOnLinux to be the Wine front-end. I'm not sure that POL is better than Crossover, but its free and officially supported by Ubuntu. So far I've only noticed one slight difference - I have the UE executable on a separate SSD drive, Crossover ran it without complaint there, but POL complains about it everytime I start the program. It runs fine, so this is just an annoyance.

Larry
Glamdring

Post by Glamdring »

LarryM wrote:A little more expansion on one of the difficulties - if I attempt to download and save, the dialog pops up with the file tree at the default folder. That's fine, but if I want to save in a sub-directory and I add a folder name, the folder doesn't get created and UE saves the file in the default folder.

Not the end of the world, but I use the default folder as a starting point, creating sub- and sub-sub-folders. So I have to keep popping out of UE, creating the folder in the file manager, then go back into UE and do the save. Like I say, not the end of the world, but I'm hoping Alex can tweak something and provide some relief for this.
I am also seeing this behaviour. I had to set the locale in the bottle to en_US to prevent Japanese characters from showing up.

The behaviour is due to wine having only partly implemented this function as I can see in the logging:

Code: Select all

fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00004100
fixme:toolhelp:CreateToolhelp32Snapshot Unimplemented: heap list snapshot
fixme:toolhelp:Heap32ListFirst : stub
fixme:shell:BrsFolder_OnCreate flags BIF_NEWDIALOGSTYLE partially implemented
fixme:shell:BrsFolder_OnCreate flags 30 not implemented
Changing the dialog in the options to custom works much better, however it visually looks like going back to Windows 3.1
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

Sorry, can you explain that a little more? Where did you change what to custom?
Glamdring

Post by Glamdring »

Go to properties -> Save/Unpack -> Browse for folder dialog -> choose custom and disable Suggest new folder.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

Yay! That works. Thanks!!