Subject Grouping Feature Request

Sauron99

Subject Grouping Feature Request

Post by Sauron99 »

Allow the user to group similar subject lines into one line. When the user clicks the grouped subject line the program would expand that group to show all subjects. Also prepend a # displaying number of subject lines that are grouped.

For example:
PSPCoverz.R01
PSPCoverz.R02
PSPCoverz.RAR
PSPCoverz.NFO
PSPCoverz.PAR2
PSP Firmware Fix.NFO

would show up as:
[5]PSPCoverz.RAR
PSP Firmware Fix.NFO

Give the user the ability to select grouping options such as:
- Group by best "fuzzy" guess
- Group by first ? characters
- Group by stripping ? characters from end
- Group by ignoring these strings [.RAR|.R??|.PAR?] **user adds as many as they want using regex filtering.
alex

Post by alex »

i had made some reservcations in the initial code but i don't know whether i'll be adding such a capability.

the nntp protocol wasn't designed for binaries, so the implementation would be another complicated fix where a simple protocol change would make the solution trivial (i mean spending time on or the difference between resolving real and artificially created problems), another question to be answered is how performance and threaded views will be affected.

if implemented most probably it won't be user choice how to group subjects like you don't choose how to group parts within a partial message.

also my current work (binary usenet indexing) may influence what will be the future steps, the basic question is why all usenet deficiences should be addressed on the client side, i just have some thoughts, i'll think about it after the current work is finished.
jonib

Post by jonib »

alex wrote:i had made some reservcations in the initial code but i don't know whether i'll be adding such a capability.
I would also like to request some kind of grouping of headers, I even started to program my own usenet client but then you came out with UE. :oops:

UE+Header grouping a dream, I just cant stand to look at a multipart post again.

Please. :P
Sauron99

Post by Sauron99 »

Have you thought of opening up the software to open source? You could retain all copyrights and sales but you would have others for assisting you in coding. Possibly open sections of the code for user created addon's.

What language is NewsPro programmed in? I have advanced knowledge in many programming languages and would be interested in adding my skills to NewsPro.

You can check out some of my programs at www.5hyphen.com.
Sauron99

Post by Sauron99 »

Thank you for adding this.

It looks like you have made this idea into the collections feature.

Keep up the good work Alex!