"Small" requested features

Most wanted small features (one vote per user)

inline viewing of .nfo and other types of text attachments
23%
NewsPro - like console
13%
download thread and other reasonable thread operations
No votes
different background for different header states - read, new, deleted etc.
2%
better focus and scroll management in newsgroup views
19%
task manager, sort queue by different columns (but probably treating download/immedate and later queue segments separatedly)
8%
moving messages with bodies to/between archive (the same as import group type) folders.
2%
autocreate directory option
21%
jpg/gif/other image auto fit-toscreen resize option
8%
import/export servers
5%

Total votes: 62

alex

"Small" requested features

Post by alex »

Later I'll make it a poll, just we need to write down the features first.
If I forgot something add it here (I mean not literally all from the forum, but what makes more sense to you).
You may also add requests for other features, I might split them from this topic in the same time adding them to the feature list below.
I also put here some features I wanted to implement but didn't do it yet because of lack of time.
The idea is I'm working on larger features but afterwards it will come to the features below as well and so by then we already have some clarity.

Requested feature list:

- inline viewing of .nfo and other types of text attachments

- NewsPro - like console

- download thread and other reasonable thread operations

- different background for different header states - read, new, deleted etc.

- better focus and scroll management in newsgroup views

- task manager, sort queue by different columns (but probably treating download/immedate and later queue segments separatedly)

- moving messages with bodies to/between archive (the same as import group type) folders.

- autocreate directory option (when ask is not checked it creates directory based on subject and author like in save source file name, when ask is checked it put the directory name into clipboard).

- jpg/gif/other image auto fit-toscreen resize option

- import/export servers
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

I voted for "better focus and scroll management in newsgroup views".
But I think it would be nice if UE ends up being able to be totaly keyboard driven. I want shortcuts for switching easily between the workspace, header window and task manager, Shortcuts for opening newsgroups and closing views, just about everything :)
Dunno if it's doable but it certainly would be nice.
jsdkr

Post by jsdkr »

Is there a chance for a dialer in UE I have looked up this topic an there seems to be no interest ?

----------------------------------- 8) -----------------------------------
; )
bassie

Post by bassie »

what is a dialer?
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

bassie wrote:what is a dialer?
Not everyone has broadband - some people still use dialup net connections. A dialer is just a mechanism to for a program to dialup to your ISP through one of those old-fashioned modem/phone line thingies.
MrEman

Post by MrEman »

I voted for - inline viewing of .nfo and other types of text attachments

But.....
Don't mess with UE too much...... It is just about perfect as is!!!!!

Great job!
jaapf

Post by jaapf »

Just a thought:

Adding the option to import a bunch off headers from the search service as a collection to the import-folder, even if they are not a collection?
Or manually define a group of headers to be a collection in a regular newsgroup?

Or does this mean that the whole collection strategy will need to be redefined? If so, just forget it...

How did i come to this thought?
Sometimes you get your search result for a DVD nice and tidy, but for some reason it does not comply to the internal definition for a collection.
Same will occur if you download headers in a group. For the human eye it is clear the headers belong together, however, to define it to be a collection though to program's AI is probably a lot more difficult.

If we somehow just can "declare" a selected group of headers to be a collection, this might help cleaning up the group and get even better viewability (is that an existing word?) in large newsgroups.

Again, if it means rewriting a lot of code, don't bother. It's not a key issue...
Dutch? Visit the Dutch UE/Newspro forum at: http://www.binaries4all.nl
Nederlandse UE handleiding op http://www.binaries4all.nl/ue
English UE tutorial online at http://www.binaries4all.com/ue/
Handy links at: http://jpfx.zapto.org/
jaapf

Post by jaapf »

Other idea (much simpler):

Currently we can:
"Finish all tasks and exit"
"Finish all tasks and shutdown windows"

How about:
"Finish all tasks and exit wich external command"

With "external command" I mean starting a different applicatian (link) wich could be anything, but for instanca an automatic par&rar program like autounpack, or a virusscanner to scan my default download location.

Personally I don't like programs like that run all day (or night) while i am downloading a bunch and having them recheck everything every hour while it's clear not everything is there yet.

Much better to execute it when UE is finished downloading ;)
Dutch? Visit the Dutch UE/Newspro forum at: http://www.binaries4all.nl
Nederlandse UE handleiding op http://www.binaries4all.nl/ue
English UE tutorial online at http://www.binaries4all.com/ue/
Handy links at: http://jpfx.zapto.org/
alex

Post by alex »

the original list is still actual

many users asked me now to add newspro like console, i'm thinking to add it in the near future.
Mierzoet

Post by Mierzoet »

First let me express my gratitude for the superb program....

But,
I do have a small request.

I would like to be able to choose what to Pause (Posts or Articles)....

When I have an upload running, it is almost not possible to have a download at the same time. As both will be dramatically slower. So it is much faster to first finish the upload, then start the download when the upload is finished. When I now choose Pause, everything is stopped. It would be nice to select one of the two, or both....

And for example now, it's time to go to bed..... My upload finishes in aprox. 3.5hrs.... If I would have to option to choose what to pause, I would have paused the articles for 4 hours.... So the download can start after my upload is finished.... That way everything would be done, when my alarm rings....
Trying to perform both tasks at the same time now, will result in neither being finished when my alarm rings......

Or another great feature would be to have a command like this:
Pause download until upload is finished.
Or visa versa.

I hope it is possible to do this....
alex

Post by alex »

as i understand an usual connection has download/upload speed

posting is mostly upload and the rest is mostly download so they shouldn't intersect in theory, also in UE posting is not included in the download bandwidth limit and the rest is not included in the upload bandwidth limit

thus if in properties->tasks you will set the highest chance to run for post tasks in principle they should continue undisturbed at full speed whatever download activities are at the same time. you may use the scheduler to limit download bandwidth for the estimated upload time, if it will bring any change at all given said above.

in practice for your connection i don't know.

relatively few people post binaries at all refining options here is not a good idea unless absolutely necessary and in this case it looks like all should work without any additional options.
Mierzoet

Post by Mierzoet »

OK, thanx
andreasfc

Post by andreasfc »

Don't know if mentioned anywhere, but is it possible when searching for an item that it show up as a Collection of files, just the same way it is used when downloading.
So when searching for a movie it shows up as a collection (complete % or incomplete)?

Thanx
alex

Post by alex »

i think i answered it already, right now no such an option, search results is different view code, as to now i didn't duplicate the collection code in search and in the task manager views, i'm not sure i will, views are usually shorter and the option is less actual.
alex

Post by alex »

it seems with v1.7.1 all most asked features above have been covered, so we may compile another list of features (not necessarily small, just one list).