was: current work - collections related up to v1.3.1

alex

was: current work - collections related up to v1.3.1

Post by alex »

I'm working now on scenarios to push the UE internals framework further, the aspects I wanted to have within it but which I couldn't verify back then because of sheer volume of work even without them. It took some time to switch back to UE code since though the indexing server is based on simplified UE internals and shares internals libraries it is something different.

I also put the latest release code separatedly, so we are able to have new releases while the more fuzzy work is going on.
alex

Post by alex »

I'm planning to release a version shortly which will resolve the few small issues mentioned here (if you are aware of any other issues with the program let me know), I will also check bug reports and include several requested features.
alex

Post by alex »

i've finished the work on the release as to features.
i'll check bug reports, update UE.txt and release it then as v1.2.5
alex

Post by alex »

v1.2.5 is running statistically clean, no problems.
alex

Post by alex »

there is a steady progress with the larger topic i'm working on, unfortunately it requires deep understanding of critical parts of older code to make a careful revision (so to reduce chance of having problems and to avoid numerous betas with huge fix list like it happens with many other programs). so the price is only in time.

as to current user requests, because sometimes it is needed to delve into larger tasks i'm thinking about a faster response, maybe i'll add a "Quick release" area where i'll make unofficial releases so if someone has a small but clever request or asks for a glitch fix it could be done right away but without making a public release, also in this case i don't lose any time, maybe even the opposite, as to reliability as a rule such changes don't need any testing after checking them once working here. from other side periodic public releases is an option too, in short we'll see :)
alex

Post by alex »

there is further progress so before we'll go beyond the point of no return, i think some time towards the end of the next week i'll try to work on the next release to close all small current issues (so if someone wants some kind of fix or small improvement they have a chance to request it, try to formulate it in the development section), also probably a small server adjustment to cope with larger retention and maybe a small program which will let UE know that the server is under maintenance or restarting (I need to add the messages to UE then as well).
alex

Post by alex »

since the collection feature seems to work without any negative impact i now renamed the topic subject from simply "current work" and i released a version with the feature yesterday.
alex

Post by alex »

all is running fairly stable, i'll gather more statistics maybe for a week given the scope of latest changes.

i'm not sure whether i'll add the same functionality to the search results view right afterwards (it is a different code not connected to the database framework, something much simpler but different), if there will be user requests i could schedule the work in a short term.

only now i saw in text articles it doesn't put an empty line between the headers and the body which if there is no additional line causes "skip to body" not to work when displaying the article view. it is why attachment icons are close to the headers sometimes as well. it was introduced, origianally all worked ok.

and another small glitch, sometimes it shows full collection body icon while some file bodies are missing or incomplete.

i've fixed here both problems in few minutes (a single line code change in both cases) just noone noticed that before, so it will be in v1.2.8
alex

Post by alex »

i have material for the next release (the main purpose was to recheck the collection related code, but i also added some nice feature).

i'll release it tomorrow, since i also have some long planned although not complicated work on the server which was delayed because of collections.
alex

Post by alex »

i released it as v1.2.9

i will work on the server next few days, the work may take even one day, we'll see.

i feel lazy to switch to newer visual studio version, i compiled there everything, even 64 bit version, but somehow i don't want to switch right now, anyway source files remain the same, i'll just copy them once instead.
alex

Post by alex »

unexpected change of plans, it seems v1.2.9 is unstable maybe it was a bad idea to release it on 13th (it was here 13th already by then).

i changed the framework only in 4 places and it is where things could go wrong, the rest was adding features, i'm checking where the problem had been introduced, should be something on the surface.

i reverted the version on the site back to v1.2.8 which works ok.
alex

Post by alex »

i found the cause, i tried to call a function on a record which wasn't fully formed yet, just need to do it a bit later, the difference in time between the last message and this one is how long it took to find (and thanks to someone who gave a newsgroup name which could produce this problem with a little luck here, i was racking my brain for 6 hours then fixed it in few minutes after i've got the hint).
alex

Post by alex »

v1.3 is running clean.
alex

Post by alex »

work on the server is not so needed since it works anyway i'll try to create selected topic area like newspro home page instead.
alex

Post by alex »

i had to fix something with the server today.

maybe in several days i'll try to finish with the next release (few small refinements), it will contain a link to the help area on the home page but the help area itself i'll create afterwards, most likely within one week.