Feature Request: Window Select Hotkeys

Sauron99

Feature Request: Window Select Hotkeys

Post by Sauron99 »

Please add an option to the Window toolbar menu to select folders.

For example:

I have 3 newsgroup folders open "A","B","C"

I would like the Window toolbar menu to look like:

Code: Select all

Window
  New Window
  Cascade
  Tile
  Split new Header Window
  Propagate
  1. A
  2. B
  3. C
This would allow me to quickly select a folder by pressing ALT-W,1 to select the first window.

Maybe even allow subwindows for use with search folders:

For Example: I have 3 seperate search sessions: car, bike, text

Code: Select all

Window
  New Window
  Cascade
  Tile
  Split new Header Window
  Propagate
  1. A
       a. car
       b. bike
       c. text
  2. B
  3. C
alex

Post by alex »

i'm not sure about subwindows (search result tabs), just it is third-party GUI which in principle is disposable/replaceable so I don't want to dig into it too much, as to Windows menu open windows of the upper level I'll check it.
Sauron99

Post by Sauron99 »

alex wrote:i'm not sure about subwindows (search result tabs), just it is third-party GUI which in principle is disposable/replaceable so I don't want to dig into it too much, as to Windows menu open windows of the upper level I'll check it.
Thank you. The upper level is what I was looking for.
alex

Post by alex »

as easy as it sounds but there may be an impediment.

the main menu you see may be not a real menu, since it is the third party library it is the library which draws the rectangles and fills them with icons/text.

if it is the case the microsoft framework doesn't see it as menu and doesn't add the open file list (on a quick view it looks like so).

if the issue is too many tabs there is the rightmost "open views" pane in the workspace, there is toolbar button (so shorcut is possible as well).

from other side if i remove the line of the code which kills the standard menu and replaces it with the richer menu (the main difference is the associated toolbar icons) then the open windows entries will appear automatically, i could even make a compilation for you if you like.

just frankly the code is written in such a way that the GUI dependence is kept weak and the code is well separated so if i find something better i can easily replace it, it allowed me to concentrate on internals (so it runs fast and reliable, if we have fancy interface but slow or subjected to bugs internal design instead it would be flawed program in principle). from other side i found a possible replacement for the GUI so when completing work on internals i may consider using it instead of the current GUI wrap, it is why it is not a good idea to go too deep into messing with the third party GUI code.
Sauron99

Post by Sauron99 »

Just out of curiosity, why did you pick a third party library for the menus? The MS Framework seems to give the same functionality.

Have you considered moving UE to VS2005? I have moved many of my programs from VS2003 to VS2005 with very little conversion problems.

Keep up the good work. Your program is great.
alex

Post by alex »

vs2005 doesn't show toolbar icons in the file menu.

the server is compiled in vs2005 since it is 64 bit application (it means also 80% of UE code is compiled there as well since server shares the same internals library), but as to the whole program, it will have to wait since it doesn't matter which IDE version is used and i have development priorities. but at some point i'm planning to check available means so not to do the same job twice, just changing IDE doesn't worth the trouble of readopting GUI library (with my own code there is no problem).