Feature Request: Auto Update

Sauron99

Feature Request: Auto Update

Post by Sauron99 »

It's great that you update the software as often as you do. Please do not stop!

First suggestion: Have your program check for updates as soon as the program is launched. This way we would know if we should update the software before grabbing headers. Currently the program seems to wait up to 10 minutes before checking for a new version.

Second suggestion: Auto update the program upon launch. Create a launcher program(uelaunch.exe) so that upon launch it would check for an update. If none is found it would launch the ue.exe. If an update is found it would display the new features and ask the user if they wish to update. The launcher would then download the new update and replace the ue.exe file.
alex

Post by alex »

as a rule updates are not urgent. you can uncheck automatic check for updates in properties->general and visit the site when you want.

frequent releases are temporary (read "current work - code integrity"), i'm just trying to boost reliability because i got some data, but the program is reliable enough without that, i guess you know.
Sauron99

Post by Sauron99 »

I always like to run the current beta build of an application. As soon as you have a newer beta version I always upgrade. I was just looking for an easier way to upgrade.
jonib

Post by jonib »

Hi

I made a simple updater for UE. UE Updater
It uses http://www.netwu.com/ue/version.htm to check for new version,
and downloads it from here http://www.netwu.com/ue/download.htm.

If you run it instead of UE.EXE it can check and download new update and then run UE.

Alex if you don't like it I can remove the link?
alex

Post by alex »

no problem but again in my opinion there is no need to update at the moment when an update had place.

if those are regular features the release schedule is moderate.

if i fixed a bug which may cause crashes even extremely rare (we don't have "regular" bugs left) i make a release right away, so as time goes we'll achieve the maximal possible reliability, it might be the only irregularity in the release schedule, and as i had luck lately, on average it is very fortunate if i find such a bug once in 8 weeks.
jonib

Post by jonib »

Hi Alex

Is this the correct page to look for updates http://www.netwu.com/ue/version.htm ?
It has not been updated but UE knew about the new version?

I knew I should have waited to see it was the right page before posting my program, Now it don't seem to work.
alex

Post by alex »

no since recently (1.3?) these are version_reg.htm for registered users and version_tr.htm for trial users, but if you check the former it will be enough for both.
jonib

Post by jonib »

Thank you Alex!

I have updated my UE updater with the new version url, if anyboby downloaded my updater you can change the url in the ini file or redownload.

I have changed the name so it's better to delete the old.
jonib

Post by jonib »

I have updated my UE updater and made a new thread here.

jonib
bassie

Post by bassie »

could it be smart not to update automatically in certain situations?
For example when in one version something is set to automatic, and in the other version something is not automatic?

So first reading what is actually changed might be smart?
jonib

Post by jonib »

bassie wrote:could it be smart not to update automatically in certain situations?
Well it's always smart to check out whats new with a new version, and if you use the option to save the update .zip file you can easily go back to a previous version, I could even put in an interface for it.
For example when in one version something is set to automatic, and in the other version something is not automatic?
I have been using the auto updater for two years now and have not had any problems with new functionality, but I always check out whats new.
So first reading what is actually changed might be smart?
I'm planning to either show the release notes or a link in a later version.

But if you think the auto updating is too risky you can use it just to download and update separately, by not using it to start UE.

jonib
jonib

Post by jonib »

addendum: My Automatic Updater is not fully automatic as it just runs UEs installer and waits for the user to complete the install, I could make it fully automatic if there is interest.
Cerebus

Post by Cerebus »

Auto Update is a Bad Idea with the current model of varied expiring registrations, unless steps are taken to not update your existing version past it's useful period.
jonib

Post by jonib »

Cerebus wrote:Auto Update is a Bad Idea with the current model of varied expiring registrations, unless steps are taken to not update your existing version past it's useful period.
I don't think auto updating is any more a bad idea then manually downloading and installing, and if you keep older versions you can always go back to a version that works. And my understanding is that only the search service is affected when UEs license is expired.

jonib