Version 2.0 must be cooking up good

Cerebus

Version 2.0 must be cooking up good

Post by Cerebus »

...you've been silent on releases for the longest I can ever remember between UE and NP. Very unusual...

Or perhaps ... Someone tick you off?
alex

Post by alex »

giganews? :)

releases don't make sense only for the sake of releases.

a bug was automatically triggering a release, there were no consistent bug reports (i have many indicators to deal with reliability), so no reason from that side.

small features may accumulate, also i may need to do some work on the server.

but i answered already in the other thread, when development takes years non-stop other things may accumulate and i need to resolve them as well.

as to ticking off, if you mean what are negative moments apart from means and non-related questions to put my time into the project, maybe excessive commercialization of usenet and as a result prevalence of binary only clients and no other clients in existence which can handle text and binaries the same well (the proper development of such clients except for UE didn't have place since the usenet volume explosion in about 2004, instead the accent was made in all kinds of automatic or manual indexing which is easy to write and maintain and which avoids handling of high volumes) and we also could mention the outdated and inflexible protocol, i.e. we are talking rather about tradition (what i mean usenet couldn't appear now as a means for binary file sharing since the protocol is not suitable for that, there would be no user base for such sharing). it doesn't mean at all that the usenet will stop to exist any time soon unless the servers will attract attention of entertainment industry (yesterday i was quite unhappy to learn some e-book site which i was using has closed access to math/physics books because pressure of two publishing houses), it is another danger when unscurpulous providers left no option but only support for binary users instead of taking the rule to keep free small volume accounts for those who want to use usenet for text. thus the development is still justified as long as there is demand for such a work.

so as a developer i should be careful, what we have is a stable program which can easily handle contemporary and most likely future usenet volumes given the usenet growth dynamics for both binaries and text, it is also not dos-like one header window program.

with newspro the main problem was much higher usenet volume than newsreaders could handle, with ue we don't have any such framework (difficult to overcome) limitations so the development is technically is not restricted.

i still need to finish something here (one of those things which, even not related to programming, like usenet explorer developement not predictable in time but it is close to completion now), i'm afraid if i'll do several brain draining things in the same time we'll end with bugs and then to clear them will take longer than to write everything with clear mind not even talking about user frustration about such crashing program and bug reports which would start constantly popping up here, i hate things which are breaking up, it takes too much effort and time to use them.