Feature request: Search local article text bodies

TheWEF

Feature request: Search local article text bodies

Post by TheWEF »

Hi Alex!

I'm a registered user of Usenet Explorer and like probably everybody else I'm using it mostly for binary downloading. Since you included the search service it is the perfect tool - thank you very much.

But when it comes to reading text messages I'm missing a local search function to search downloaded articles (like searching emails in Outlook e.g.). It seems like no newsreaders (I know of) offers such a feature.

e.g. I'm a subscriber of some autodesk.autocad newsgroups. Autodesk offers a free newsserver: news://discussion.autodesk.com
It's my major info source for progamming AutoCAD addon applications.

Text messages are relatively small. It's possible to download all bodies form a complete group and keep a local copy. It's useless though, because I can't search the database (only the headers). So I have to use the crappy web search engine they are offering: http://discussion.autodesk.com/index.jspa

It would be great if you implemented article searching/filtering, that not only searches the headers, but the text bodies as well.
I think it would be a unique newsreader feature.

Thank's for listening!
Wef.
alex

Post by alex »

such a function was present in newspro, but as you mentioned most users are nowadays are using newsreaders only for binaries and many text capable newsreaders are not developed any longer or didn't survive usenet volume increase and only are superficially maintained incapable to maintain contemporary binary groups, so because the development of UE took too long i didn't include this function in UE.

also in newspro all headers were loaded at all time, in UE it is not the case, although it is possible to have newsgroup always loaded through newsgroups properties, load mode, then because those are text newsgroups there will be no much resource consumption so in principle such a function can be implemented as well.
TheWEF

Post by TheWEF »

Thank you for answering.
Well, local search would be highly appreciated - at least from my side!
=)

Wef.