System lockup

TheWEF

System lockup

Post by TheWEF »

downloaded and installed new version 1.9.8 today. after about two hours of running the new version without problems, suddenly, while saving attachments, my system locked up. no reboot or bluescreen, everything just froze. only thing i could do was to push the reset button. my sytem has never locked up like this before.
after reboot, when trying to run UE again, the system locked up exactly like before. the crash happened even before UE's main window showed up. after another reboot i went back to 1.9.7, i was able to start UE without problems (UE repaired the database automatically) and everything is fine ever since (i just can't use search).
database folder is on a UNC Network path. running win xp sp2 with all available hotfixes on a core 2 duo.

wef.
alex

Post by alex »

probably i need to create a separate post and put a link to it as a reply so i won't repeat the same thing over and over again.

a system-wide problem means a trouble in the system configuration or hardware, nothing more, UE is just a single .exe applciation which doesn't run in the system mode and in 32/64 bit system such application process is completely isolated from the system itself.

so you need to check firewall, antivirus, hardware or whatever which could cause the system lockup, try to redefine UE there if it was caused by upgrade and they are somehow hooked on the old .exe file.

if the trouble is correlated with network activity it means something which is meddling with the network, what is able to lockup the system (if it is not hardware) - a third party driver running in the system mode.

if it happens only during saving files i don't have any prior reports about antivirus to blame for system lockups in the past because of saving files, but anyway try to redefine UE for some case if is defined somewhere in the antivirus settings.

try to check your hard drive, when there are bad sectors i remember the system is freezing while trying to write into damaged disk area, it is more likely reason, also the same may be caused by loose hard drive cables. secondly probably try to check RAM.

but if you have such a problem only after running after UE upgrade (try to reverify it again) it means it is some third party driver problem, most likely caused by UE definitions in the third party application settings and deleting and readding UE there should resolve that.