Mouse/Wheel issue

MrEman

Mouse/Wheel issue

Post by MrEman »

Just put together a new system with a wireless mouse.

Microsoft Intellipoint 6.1 mouse driver/software
Wheel no longer scrolls in UE? (ver 1.9.9)
Works everywhere else just fine.

Anybody else?
Is this a UE issue or Microsoft problem?
alex

Post by alex »

i've installed it and it looks like mouse wheel is scrolling ok, my mouse is optical logitec.

i'll uninstall the package now in the meantime, i'm not sure what it is needed for, good it didn't ask me to reboot again.

maybe you need to tweak some settings.
MrEman

Post by MrEman »

Most likely the fault of Microsoft Intellipoint software.....

Thanks
dvd.collector

Post by dvd.collector »

Wow I was just about to post this too.

Just for Alex's info.. the mouse scrolls in some dialog boxes, just not the mail window.

System is Vista x64.

I dont have this problem in XP.

From what I've read it can be caused by how some software handles the mouse drivers. For example Damn Nfo viewer wont scroll either.
alex

Post by alex »

I was checking in XP, I need to reinstall Vista, then I'll check it there as well, if any problem it will be fixed in the next release.

Later: I got it checked on Vista, mouse wheel works there as well. So we need to check it on your computer, I don't have this kind of mouse, maybe the actual mouse is needed as well.

I'll pm you or MrEman when I'm done with the current work (and before the next release) so we could fix it through the logging of parameters passed to the mouse wheel message handler if there is something to fix there.
dvd.collector

Post by dvd.collector »

alex wrote:I was checking in XP, I need to reinstall Vista, then I'll check it there as well, if any problem it will be fixed in the next release.

Later: I got it checked on Vista, mouse wheel works there as well. So we need to check it on your computer, I don't have this kind of mouse, maybe the actual mouse is needed as well.

I'll pm you or MrEman when I'm done with the current work (and before the next release) so we could fix it through the logging of parameters passed to the mouse wheel message handler if there is something to fix there.
I'm using an MS mouse with Intellipoint 6.2 installed.

Just to confirm, scrolling works with the standard windows controls within UE (Such as save dialog) just not with the UE windows.

Happy to try to debug if I can help.
alex

Post by alex »

I've sent to you both pm with the link to the executable. I think mouse wheel resolution is higher than normal as to messages which it sends.

Does it work with this version?
If it works, when you rotate the wheel one rotate click does the newsgroup view scrolls 3 lines or more?
MrEman

Post by MrEman »

YES!
New executable is a good fix for mouse wheel issue's here!

Wheel moves 3 lines with one wheel click :)

Did I forget to mention my mouse is a new high res Laser mouse?
Sorry!
(Microsoft 6000 laser mouse)

Thank you Alex!
dvd.collector

Post by dvd.collector »

alex wrote:I've sent to you both pm with the link to the executable. I think mouse wheel resolution is higher than normal as to messages which it sends.

Does it work with this version?
If it works, when you rotate the wheel one rotate click does the newsgroup view scrolls 3 lines or more?
Yep works good here too :)

Thanks Alex.. now that is good product support :D
alex

Post by alex »

you can even use this version, just uncheck unpack->enable auto add in the unpack menu so it won't fill data structures (then check it again when there will be a release with the option).
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

Further info on this:

I've had to install Vista because there's only so much you can really see in a virtual machine and more of my customers are buying shiny new computers with a shoddy, unfinished OS so I really need to use it exclusively daily to properly learn its quirks. Ugh! I chose x64 because XP x64 does not play nice with 4GB RAM so... a two birds, one stone situation. I got everything looking as much like XP as possible :D but I also notice the mouse wheel issue. Drivers installed are IntelliPoint v6.2 x64.

However, it's not a problem because MouseImp Pro is a fantastic util I've been using for years and is one of the first to install when I reinstall any OS. I've used it since it was payware then the project died and has since become open source freeware. Scrolling in web pages, file managers or anything else is easy by holding down the right mouse button and dragging in whichever direction. The advantage is that, even with a working mouse wheel in UE, you can't do it quickly. With MouseImp you just hold the right button and can scroll up/down and left to right simply and easily. Another big use is for images in UE. Large images don't get resized in the window so you have to scroll around. With MouseImp I can just hold the right button and quickly scroll around to get the bigger picture.

I know some might see it as a workaround solution but it's always been highly useful to me in plenty of other apps over the years. It's freeware, you've got nothing to lose by trying it and you can configure it how you like it (speeds, etc.). Hopefully more people will try it and give it support.

P.S. Still hating Vista... :cry: