Request: Labels for downloads

CY:G

Request: Labels for downloads

Post by CY:G »

Hello, first thanks for this great product.

The request:

It would be great to be able to create labels for downloads.

So lets say i always want movies downloaded to C:/movies/, then i would just create a label called movies and then when i download attachments it would ask me what label to use, it would then create a folder named like the attachment in C:/Movies/ (like the suggest feature does in the download attachment windows) this can maybe be an option that people turn on.

It would really help to keep things organized and to save time when downloading

TIA :)
dengle

Post by dengle »

I'm not sure I follow you. Can you restate the request?

Essentially you want a shortcut to different default paths?
where movies = <path to your movies location>
etc?
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

I think maybe he's referring to something similar to the Places Bar that you see in standard Windows Open/Save dialogues. The fact that he uses the word 'label' could mean he is coming from other software that used that term.

I suppose it would be feasible to have a dialogue before Download & Save (Auto) to accomplish this. It probably depends on how easy it is to implement and how many people would want it. Personally, I have all my groups in virtual folders and set to save into specific directories based on their categories. My Import group is set to save to one location with different, categorised directories underneath that I simply click and use Suggest. If I use the search service, I can choose to import the headers into any one of my groups I created to tidy up my UE window, each set to save to wherever it fits best.
alex

Post by alex »

say if to create default folder like "downloads" which initially prompt to save attachments, then to create subfolders "movies" etc., then when it asks download&save it will always point out to the default folder you just choose the appropriate subfolder, then press ok.

it can be achieved in properties->newsgroups, save, just should be no specific folders per newsgroup defined and no "ask", only the default folder.

otherwise we like recreate windows explorer functionality, i'm already doing as to upcoming unpack feature and my impression is the less we borrow from what can be easily achieved with other means the better (just with unpack it can be considered like more necessary). i hacked the windows select folder dialog enough so it is useful with suggesting attachment specific subfolder name, the above would do the rest.
CY:G

Post by CY:G »

Alex: Thats great. Thanks Alex, will look forward to the update.

Josef:
That is a great idea, now i have to google how to create virtual directories, its probably easy..., thanks
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

Virtual groups are built into UE. Read here how to set some up.

Once you've set up your virtual groups, right-click them and select Properties. In that dialogue, choose the save path at the bottom. Do this for every virtual group you create. Every time you save something from your virtual groups after that, the location will automatically point to the path you specified in Properties. Then you can click Suggest and it will create a subdirectory beneath that.