Unpack with automatic shutdown

PietPuk

Unpack with automatic shutdown

Post by PietPuk »

Last night I started to download a DVD and and checked "Finish all tasks and shutdown Windows".
Well, it did shutdown Windows in the usual way, but without unpacking (repairing I don't know, but all the pars were still there), while I expected it to shutdown after unpacking.
alex

Post by alex »

try to check your settings and whether the rar set was repairable.

the shutdown option is connected to unpack, it checks whether there is something in the unpack queue and ensures there is nothing to auto delete or examine before allowing program exit.

when you restarted did you see those par2 files in the unpack pane or they were cleared automatically, just if not it might be something in the settings.

otherwise (after checking your settings) are you able to reproduce it?

say, if connection has been lost and all article tasks went to errors there is nothing to do and it will exit, it could be an explanation.
PietPuk

Post by PietPuk »

I tried it again with a smaller download and it unpacked before shutdown just fine, so I have no idea what happened with the DVD last night.
If it ever happens again, I will further investigate.
alex

Post by alex »

most likely connection outage, then dvd hasn't been downloaded in full as well, finish all tasks is triggered when there is nothing to do.
PietPuk

Post by PietPuk »

No, all the rars and pars (even the ones that should have been skipped) were there.
alex

Post by alex »

i'll try to check it further to see if all conditions are exhausted, as for now i don't see much.

you didn't start UE after seeing undeleted par2 files? if you started it the processing was completed automatically with the next start?
PietPuk

Post by PietPuk »

No, I just unpacked and threw away everything, before I started UE.
Not the best thing to do, I know now.
I have no idea either, what can have caused it, but I suspect it has something to do with the shutdown-option,that didn't behave as it should have.
alex

Post by alex »

UE synchronize with the actual file content in folders on start so if you deleted all you wouldn't able to conclude much after restart.

when you restarted UE there was no tasks at all? no other files were marked for download?

i though maybe i missed something, but on the second look got nothing again, it doesn't check tasks ready to be incorporated into unpack pane, but first it does check there are still save tasks and there must be a save task still alive in your scenario (which created the unpack entry to include into the unpack pane).
PietPuk

Post by PietPuk »

I am pretty sure there weren't any tasks left, when I restarted UE.
Just now I retried the scenario with a DVD and all worked fine.
Now I think the oddest thing about the other download, was the fact UE didn't skip the pars, when there were plenty.
In fact, UE behaved completely (holy shit, now I remember something),
I wanted to say, behaved completely as if there was no unpack-feature at all.

I remember at a time I had the old UE.exe (v1.997) and a renamed UEv2.0.exe in the same folder and..and..maybe.. , what can I say more? :oops:
alex

Post by alex »

it is likely it was v1997 then, apart from the unpack pane and the unpack menu entry you could easily miss the difference.

the change was pretty concentrated and unpack is integrated in such a way that you don't need to do anything to make it work.

v2.0 has a different icon mostly because of black vista task bar background, but I didn't change the icon in v1.998 so v2.x will be easily to discern from v1.x
PietPuk

Post by PietPuk »

And I use my own desktop-icon, because obviously, creating icons is not something you waste your time on.
Maybe you can have an icon-contest and that would cost you nothing, because I am sure lots of people would die for the honour of having their icon used in UE.
PietPuk

Post by PietPuk »

It happened again and now I first looked into it, before unpacking.
The reason is/was I downloaded and saved the first 40 rars of a DVD to a certain folder and the remaining rars to the same folder, but this time mapped as a networkdrive.
So they all end up in the same folder, but UE isn't aware of that and in the unpack pane I see 2 "different" unfinished downloads.
If I, like last time, would have unpacked and deleted all the files, before opening UE to investigate, I would never have known what had happened.
alex

Post by alex »

yes UE unpak works per folder, it is intentional, the same download must be contained within a single folder to be considered as a whole, if to track data across all folders it may be difficult to comprehend from the user point of view.