Compressed Headers

dracula

Compressed Headers

Post by dracula »

Astraweb supports now compressed headers http://helpdesk.astraweb.com/index.php? ... s&newsid=9

Is it possible to build it in to Usenet Explorer? :lol:
jonib

Post by jonib »

You should read this thread

jonib
dracula

Post by dracula »

Oops :oops: missed it. Thanks anyway.
alex

Post by alex »

frankly again i don't understand why all those hot reactions.

compressed headers are naturally supported by SSL compiled with zlib on the server side. UE was supporting zlib compressed headers within SSL i think for more than half a year since right after I learned servers started support zlib during SSL session. you use astraweb SSL you'll see headers are downloaded much faster, may well be several times faster than your bandwidth, this is due to zlib compression.

but i'm planning to add it, i'll publish it in the test area and maybe in the downloads area.

in short i still a bit don't understand why it is needed separatedly, because astraweb supports SSL+zlib combo then for those commands headers will be compressed like twice unless they introduce selective compression option which i was advocating for. SSL doesn't bring overhead with keep alive so no reason not to use SSL and give chance to ISP to monitor your traffic for the purpose of limiting it or worse.

but those additional commands are easy to add and i'll add them, then we'll see, within the code i'm separating the related code with #ifdef operator so the code can be compiled as before as well, in case the behaviour won't live on.

maybe tomorrow i'll finish the code, just there is the flavor of reinventing the bicycle, everyone comes up with its own version, but all are using zlib compression to make it work.