search results collections

inmate

search results collections

Post by inmate »

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is it possible to apply some sort of collections (like inside a newsgroup) to the search results to reduce the amount of lines one has to browse through?
swent

Post by swent »

Under the Threads button "Collapse threads/Collections"
Also the blue "++" icon in the toolbar.
inmate

Post by inmate »

Hmmm, this works for normal usegroups, but when viewing the search results window these buttons are all greyed out...
alex

Post by alex »

when collections were added the first question i got from many users was how to disable them, so i disabled them by default. if there will be user requests i could add them to search results as well, it is easier since the view is static, differently from newsgroup view, but the newsgroup view code is not applicable, since the search view is managed by different code.

collections are not always precise because there are no real rules on how subjects are formed ("thanks" to powerpost), so sometimes more than one post may fall into the same collection, some posts may be split (e.g. those without file numbers) into several collections.
jonib

Post by jonib »

alex wrote: if there will be user requests i could add them to search results as well, it is easier since the view is static, differently from newsgroup view, but the newsgroup view code is not applicable, since the search view is managed by different code.
I'm a user and I request collection support in the search results, like I did some time ago in a forum far far away :( 8)

jonib
alex

Post by alex »

it was next version preview forum.

i'll check it out, not certain yet, there are some other things as well i wanted to add for some time already.
jonib

Post by jonib »

alex wrote:but it is a hidden forum :)
Oops :oops: , I was sure it was posted in the development forum.
i'll check it out, there are some other things as well i wanted to add for some time already.
Great.

jonib
jonib

Post by jonib »

In the new version, Collection support for the search results are just wonderful :D :D thank you very much Alex.

Now if only the View filters worked in the search results :P it would be perfect. 8)

jonib
dracula

Post by dracula »

I like it too only one question. What is the difference between auto and custom collections?
alex

Post by alex »

custom collections means you can group headers in an arbitrary way newsgroup view context menu->custom collections.

custom collections have magenta color, auto collections have yellow color, you cannot change the way the auto collections are arranged, but i can improve auto collection code to make grouping better in general (the database doesn't depend on auto collections).

as to search there is an option in properties general "import as collection" which makes single import to appear under its own custom collection.

as to view filters, it is the same story, the code is different from newsgroup view even as the implementation would be somewhat simpler, it is possible to change if there will be requests, i'm not sure many people use them.
dracula

Post by dracula »

Thanks Alex for explaining it. Really nice job. :lol: