Upgrading to v2.6

AndreW

Upgrading to v2.6

Post by AndreW »

Should I upgrade to 2.6 or wait for 2.6.1? I often wait for new versions of software to stabilize some before I upgrade.
jonib

Re: Upgrading to v2.6

Post by jonib »

AndreW wrote:Should I upgrade to 2.6 or wait for 2.6.1?
That is up to you, 2.6 was beta tested before release, I have bee using it since release and not seen any problems, and no reports of problems on the forum, and a new version could take a while.
I often wait for new versions of software to stabilize some before I upgrade.
Usenet Explorer seldom needs to stabilize, I use always the latest versions (Using my updater) and I can't think of any problems with a new version if ever.

jonib
alex

Post by alex »

yes, it appears by now (taken into account several days after the release) - there are no introduced UE code issues with v2.6, both 32 and 64 bit compilations (they are a bit different), the release included a number of changes in internals, which would be difficult to test intentionally by users without reading the code, so i tested the code myself more thoroughly than usual.

reliability is better than prior releases, but any such improvement is not very noticeable since the program won't crash easily.

so if any new version released in a short term - it will contain only further enhancements/refinements and the release would depend on user/usenet provider feedback and running statistics.
AndreW

Post by AndreW »

Sorry to be such a pest, but I have another question.

I have Windows XP 64 bit Professional. I'm now running UE v2.6.1 32 bit and it runs flawlessly.

Can I safely upgrade to the 64 bit version? I guess I'm asking if I need to be aware of any major differences.
jonib

Post by jonib »

AndreW wrote:Can I safely upgrade to the 64 bit version? I guess I'm asking if I need to be aware of any major differences.
Check this thread.

jonib