Remove ".nzb" from folder names

acrophile

Remove ".nzb" from folder names

Post by acrophile »

Hi,

I've swapped a couple e-mails in the past with Alex about this and he suggested I bring it up in the forums.

I love how Usenet Explorer can automatically download and save .nzb posts into their own folders etc... but it's really annoying that all the folders have ".nzb" at the end of them... I was hoping we could get a feature added (or just alter the behavior altogether) so that the folder names don't end in ".nzb" anymore.

Does anyone else feel the same as I do?

Cheers,

acrophile
Mierzoet

Post by Mierzoet »

For the very few times that I use NZB....

Indeed, it can be quiet annoying...

grtz,
Twan
swent

Post by swent »

Actually the search" prefix is most annoying to me, but it's rare that either the directory prefix, or suffix affects the final destination or naming of a file. Having seperated downloads and data on different drives, I extract to another location and have to rename most files anyway. I do suppose it's helpful to be reminded that an incomplete download was by nzb.
acrophile

Post by acrophile »

I believe you can turn off the prefix though... just not the .nzb suffix. :(
alex

Post by alex »

i'll check it towards the next release, i remember someone also asked to add an edit box to limit the length of auto generated directory name instead of hard coded limit now i don't remember what value exactly, maybe 100 to 120 characters.
acrophile

Post by acrophile »

I think the directory length problem is actually a full path length problem in windows... can't exceed 255 characters or something... it can be especially bad in XP if you use your desktop for downloads (C:\Documents and Settings\username\Desktop\Downloads\LONGASSNZBSTRING\LONGASSUNPACKSTRING... etc...)

I'm not sure if UE is aware of the issue because it doesn't throw an error when the limit is exceeded... the unpack's just fail...

I just use a downloads folder off the root directory to save characters... now I very rarely have the problem.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

-acrophile
alex

Post by alex »

i don't use auto directory naming myself, if someone who does can detail of what it should do instead of what it does (say it names it "x" and it should be better "y") if it is reasonable i would maybe just follow.
acrophile

Post by acrophile »

I think your system is excellently designed...

I just think it needs two enhancements:

1) strip off the .nzb at the end (this is more of a personal preference, but I believe it's a good one since the actual "title" of the nzb "post" shouldn't include the extension)
2) show a warning or error if the paths are going to exceed windows' limitations (this is a general QA kind of thing)

here's a good msdn page about pathing in windows:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247.aspx
acrophile

Post by acrophile »

Hello, me again... just wondering if you've thought about maybe adding this feature to UE. I use nzb files a lot and I have UE automatically name the download directory, but it appends a ".nzb" still at the end of the directory name which just doesn't make much sense.

I tried newsbin pro which has a similar auto download/save/unrar feature, and it doesn't have a trailing .nzb in the directory name. However, I don't like to use newsbin pro, UE is much better!
alex

Post by alex »

forgot, next version i'll remove the suffix and also i'll remove SEARCH: and NZB: prefixes in the import views.

maybe i'll make v2.7 release in not so long time to draw line over the latest releases, i have interesting input which i'm working on now.