Exporting newsgroup headers

rhelliwell

Exporting newsgroup headers

Post by rhelliwell »

Hi,
This may be a bit of a longshot, but is there currently any way to export the downloaded headers of a particular newsgroup into some sort of usable format (text, xml etc.)?

The reason I ask, is I'm thinking of writing an external application that would load in a UE headers file and perform some processing (parsing artist/album information etc).

I understand the newsgroup databases are stored in a binary format. Is the layout documented and/or available to developers at all?
jonib

Re: Exporting newsgroup headers

Post by jonib »

rhelliwell wrote:Hi,
This may be a bit of a longshot, but is there currently any way to export the downloaded headers of a particular newsgroup into some sort of usable format (text, xml etc.)?
Right click on the headers you want contextmenu->Advanced->Export headers it will save a .NZB(XML) file with header info.

jonib
alex

Post by alex »

loading headers from the file would be somewhat complicated, you would need basically to load the newsgroup into memory first, there are some format varieties depending on flags, so it would need the newsgroup loading code which in turn would need other internals code, and it is a lot.