Feature request: Schedule per server

sirbod

Feature request: Schedule per server

Post by sirbod »

I only download outside peak hours to avoid ISP bandwidth restrictions (00:00 - 17:00). The scheduler works great for this. However, I use two Usenet servers, one of which has a more restricted schedule:

1. ISP server available 24/7
2. Shared premium server available 09:00 - 17:00 (the other half uses it between 00:00 - 09:00).

To date, I've been manually enabling/disabling server 2 each morning/evening.

Is it possible to add an additional time slot on a per server basis. ie leave the current scheduler as is, but add an additional check on each server before allocating tasks to it.

It doesn't need to be as complex as the current scheduler, a simple start/end time would suffice.
alex

Re: Feature request: Schedule per server

Post by alex »

the current scheduler is task, not server oriented.

if to implement the scheduler on per server basis the interface will be too complicated to manage, we would be like adding a third dimension to the time intervals table and options (say the server list at the left with the topmost entry for "default" scheduler).

you cannot use some kind of network scheduler, say to block access to certain ip range / port, then UE will automatically use the remaining server and even will retry errors later if set so when the commercial server becomes available.
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

This request wouldn't require changing the scheduler page - that's perfectly functional as is as a program scheduler. As I'm suggesting a per server setting, I'd add the field to the Servers tab.

The address field on the server tab could quite easily shift to the left, leaving room on the right for a time slot field for example.

Code wise, it's a fairly simple change requiring an additional check before allocating a task to a server, to check the current time is within the server's time slot - if one is set.
alex

Post by alex »

there is still some planned ongoing work, the current developments aren't finished yet, so i cannot be absolutely clear about other future features.

UE i think the most customzed newsreader already, which has its negative sides as some users get overwhelmed with the number of options, so i always have the volume of already added options in mind, many of them requested by users.

the closest logically in server settings maybe is "reset limits and counters", but it does something different, the space would be also needed in the "current server" settings area below the list.
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

I believe we're talking about the same area. ie F5, server tab, below the list.

Understand what you're saying about being overwhelmed and don't expect you to add each and every request.