Retention apply rule & word wrap

NoNo

Retention apply rule & word wrap

Post by NoNo »

Hi,
I believe the "Apply retention automatically on load" is enabled by default in the "General" option tab and you can invoke a manual "Apply retention" on regular/virtual/global newsgroups and that is working good.
But would it be possible to have another rule that apply retention automatically (disabled by default) ? maybe before the "Save all every x min" or when getting headers?
I mean if you let ue with newsgroups open all the time with "auto get headers" on, you'll end up with open groups with articles/messages that are past your retention settings.

With no relation I have noticed that the "Word wrap" settings in "Post" pane is saved but not the "Word wrap" in "Articles" pane.
Can it be a setting that gets saved?
alex

Re: Retention apply rule & word wrap

Post by alex »

With the word wrap it is something trivial.

As to retention, the rationale of the current implementation is to minimize CPU usage, if to apply retention on opening newsgroup - it filters out outdated headers right away; when saving the newsgroup views or loaded newsgroups don't need to change.

"Get all headers through" since some time is looking for the matching range, only if UE is constantly running it may make sense, but then not on every save, say once a day e.g. at midnight (as an option). You can apply retention for all newsgroups to the topmost "Newsgroups" entry in the workspace, no need to invoke it for every individual newsgroup.
NoNo

Re: Retention apply rule & word wrap

Post by NoNo »

You can apply retention for all newsgroups to the topmost "Newsgroups" entry in the workspace, no need to invoke it for every individual newsgroup.
Yeah that's exactly what I do but an option once a day by midnight sounds nice :D