Request: Save Queue Behavior Change

Neillithan

Request: Save Queue Behavior Change

Post by Neillithan »

Rather than abruptly/automatically suspending save queue when a network path becomes unavailable (either due to network computer shutting down, going into sleep mode, crashing, disconnecting an external harddrive, whatever the reason may be)... I suggest simply skipping the affected files for a couple of minutes and then retrying for the affected files. This will allow other files in the save queue to automatically save without any interruptions.

If the affected files cannot save to the network drive or unavailable folder after 5 retries, then UE should stop retrying leave it up to the user's discretion to manually save those files once the network drive becomes available. Or better yet, when the network drive becomes available, UE should automatically become aware of it and attempt to save the files.

To put it bluntly, I believe the save queue should never automatically suspend itself for any reason and should only temporarly suspend saving on a file basis, not a global basis.

Thanks,
-Neil
alex

Re: Request: Save Queue Behavior Change

Post by alex »

We could differentiate between suspending save queue initiated by the user and forced after an error.

As to what you are requesting maybe a simple "Retry save errors" check box with fixed large enough interval like 10-15 minutes (to reduce unnecessary disk writes in case of some errors) would be sufficient, it is pretty rare occasion normally and adding too many options or too complicated behaviour would be confusing.
alex

Post by alex »

In short what you are talking about is some logic to retry save errors automatically, I'll add it in the next version.
Maccara

Post by Maccara »

Thank you!

I was just about to ask if this was going to be implemented at some point, as I have one external storage which sometimes has short connection problems. (and yes, just some form of automatic retry would be sufficient for me)