Feature request - Resolve domain names through proxy

haskellpowre

Feature request - Resolve domain names through proxy

Post by haskellpowre »

Is it possible to make Usenet Explorer not leak direct connection DNS requests when using Socks5 proxy? I know that Socks5 protocol supports server-side domain name resolution. Thank you!
alex

Re: Feature request - Resolve domain names through proxy

Post by alex »

you cannot just use ping then add the ip address to the windows hosts file or rename the server so there will be ip address as the name and the server name as the nick?

proxies were added a long time ago, not all them did dns resolution. it is easy of course to add a check box to make it an option, the question does it make enough sense.
haskellpowre

Post by haskellpowre »

you cannot just use ping then add the ip address to the windows hosts file or rename the server so there will be ip address as the name and the server name as the nick?
Server can change it's IP and I will need to edit hosts/config again.
the question does it make enough sense
I think it does. Main idea is that if I use proxy server I assume that ALL traffic will go through it if possible, without making any direct connections. It can be a security issue, if I use TOR or SSH tunnel I don't want anyone to know which news server I am connecting to.
alex

Post by alex »

Download the current version from the site, the dns options are in edit menu->properties->proxies.