files that you all had download

03 Oct 23: One server was relocated, the server currently doesn't have a public IP address since in the meantime it is running on starlink. I wrote some additional tunnel code running separately to handle this. When the server is engaged the connection is 5600+ days uniform (since around 24 July 2008). In the unlikely case I disengaged the server because of some problem the retention is 1200-3800 days depending on newsgroup. If you experience any issue please let me know.

29 Nov 23: Because of encrypted and obfuscated posts flood mass posted by a few nzb indexing websites using usenet servers as private storage for their members to download the posts - the situation with the content is pretty chaotic since their purpose is to post in such a way, so users must use their website exclusively, when the website disappears - the encrypted posts just eat usenet providers' hard disk space uselessly. If you can't find something specific please let me know at alexbirj at gmail dot com what exactly you can't find for me to check how it is possible to retain the posts. Non-obfuscated posts shouldn't be affected at all, let me know if you notice anything missing.

29 Nov 23: The search protocol had to be upgraded to extend 3 byte (16M+) limit on the server side for number of sets per instance, so at least the version 5.8.3 is needed to access it, otherwise should be no any difference.
The Postman

files that you all had download

Post by The Postman »

Is'nt possible that you not twice same files download, so as edonkey does.
It say you have already download this file.
Grtx The Postman :D
alex

Post by alex »

if i remember it right edonkey says you are already downloading this file, just in p2p networks every file has its own unique hash signature, so if you look for something and mark it for download the program immediately knows it is already in the download list, it even doesn't have an option to put it as a duplicate entry since it is the same by definition. if you remove the file from download list (also from downloaded files directory) and download it again it won't warn you.

as to ue if you e.g. import headers and the headers are being downloaded or has been downloaded (have bodies) ue won't download them twice, but after the bodies went out of ue scope (you saved the files and deleted the bodies) it doesn't remember it downloaded them (so something similar as described above).

additional data structure could be added which would keep e.g. the hash sum of the first part, so at the price of downloading one body per part, its decoding and keeping the hash sum after successfully saving the file it could conclude the file was there already, then we would need also options to override this behaviour in case you want to download the file again, too many options, at least in p2p i remember they don't do it even though it is very simple there.
The Postman

Search

Post by The Postman »

In the searchbar i search for a file and you can download this file, but if pushed on the clear file is does'nt go clear.
So as it go in Newsleecher.
Do i here something wrong Alex.
alex

Post by alex »

what do you mean by 'clear file'?

the search bar is not connected to the rest, so the file status in the rest of the program is not known (i'm just using the same icons for search results, i thought about different icons to reflect the difference), it becomes known after invoking 'import headers'. if you are already downloading the headers they will be marked as new (there is an option to disable that in properties->general->import/search, always mark new) but they won't enter as duplicate entries since they are the same headers.

the two-stage approach is much faster than when an indexing service acts like a news server and gives you everything in one step since it is not wise (like when you need a handkerchief from a closet you ask to bring you all the closet), i would need many times faster connection with raid hard drives to provide the same performance, so it is like providing the same quiality at a small fraction of the direct solution cost.

in short if you download something and you import the same headers twice in the same time they won't be added twice to the import group so they won't be downloaded twice.
The Postman

Post by The Postman »

alex wrote:what do you mean by 'clear file'?
In Newsleecher you have a searchbar to, but you can clear the searchbar or you can clear the history from that stage.
So isn't handy you can plant in to UE to?
alex

Post by alex »

i'm not used to check other programs too frequently, can you explain in detail what do you mean?

ue is more like edonkey you get search results in tabs, you close tabs the results are gone. you choose to download files they go into 'import' group (or like "tranfers" pane in edonkey) and you can manage them from there if you like (you can have several different import groups as well).

search results are transient, "import" group contains "tranfers". i didn't take it from edonkey, i'm just trying to explain, it is the only way to implement it so the indexing server will be very easy to run, also if your computer is downloading at the moment when you invoke search so the bandwidth is limited you'll get search results many times faster.

you can reset the import group (the reset button) and all headers without bodies, not flagged and not being downloaded will be cleared.
The Postman

Post by The Postman »

alex wrote:i'm not used to check other programs, can you explain in detail what do you mean?
So i do.
In NL you have a search engine you can search for a specific file, same as yours.
But In NL you can clear pagefile and the history from there.
In UE there is a clear button but if i pushed on that button the pagefile is loaded with files, it doesn't clear it. And so it doesn't clear the history i think.
I hope that my explaining is clear.
I'am using NL and UE but UE is so much better, i using it now for a few days now.
Its like riding a Rolls Royce hahahhahaa :D :D :D :D
alex

Post by alex »

do you mean the small cross to the right of the tabs?

there is the "search service" window.

underneath there are tabs with search results, but you see also a cross like X to the right. if you press the X the current search result tab will be closed (i guess it is the same as "cleared" in your terms, it is just gone and won't be back).

if you press the X above this X (on the same level as the whole 'searh service' tab) - the search service window with all search result tabs will be closed (and all search results gone).

nothing needs to be cleared, just every search goes into its own tab which you can close afterwards.

if you exit the program no search results are saved, they are like transient, easy to go.

did you manage to import headers from a search result tab (e.g. by pressing space)? try to explain at what stage out of the two you are stuck.
The Postman

Post by The Postman »

alex wrote:do you mean the small cross to the right of the tabs?

there is the "search service" window.

underneath there are tabs with search results, but you see also a cross like X to the right. if you press the X the current search result tab will be closed (i guess it is the same as "cleared" in your terms, it is just gone and won't be back).

if you press the X above this X (on the same level as the whole 'searh service' tab) - the search service window with all search result tabs will be closed (and all search results gone).

nothing needs to be cleared, just every search goes into its own tab which you can close afterwards.

if you exit the program no search results are saved, they are like transient, easy to go.

did you manage to import headers from a search result tab (e.g. by pressing space)? try to explain at what stage out of the two you are stuck.
Okay Alex now i see, thanks for explanation.
regards The Postman :D

Post by Guest »

The Postman wrote:
alex wrote:what do you mean by 'clear file'?
In Newsleecher you have a searchbar to, but you can clear the searchbar or you can clear the history from that stage.
So isn't handy you can plant in to UE to?
Alex in the searchbar if you scroll it there is whole list of history files, is there a option to clear the whole list?
regards,
Gerard
alex

Post by alex »

edit menu->clear history, but it clears also other combo boxes. does it work?

i was thinking about adding more selective clear history option.

by history he meant search results (tabs with matching headers) i think, not the combo box content like you do (previous search strings).

Post by Guest »

alex wrote:edit menu->clear history, but it clears also other combo boxes. does it work?).
Yes it works.
alex wrote: i was thinking about adding more selective clear history option.
by history he meant search results (tabs with matching headers) i think, not the combo box content like you do (previous search strings).
Good plan.
Thanks for the info.
grtx ThePostman
alex

Post by alex »

no more guest posts, i thought it is someone else :)
blackdog56

Post by blackdog56 »

Who knows... I would'nt touch Edonkey with a 10 foot pole :P