Cannot find server or DNS error (UE:20002)

03 Oct 23: One server was relocated, the server currently doesn't have a public IP address since in the meantime it is running on starlink. I wrote some additional tunnel code running separately to handle this. When the server is engaged the connection is 5600+ days uniform (since around 24 July 2008). In the unlikely case I disengaged the server because of some problem the retention is 1200-3800 days depending on newsgroup. If you experience any issue please let me know.

29 Nov 23: Because of encrypted and obfuscated posts flood mass posted by a few nzb indexing websites using usenet servers as private storage for their members to download the posts - the situation with the content is pretty chaotic since their purpose is to post in such a way, so users must use their website exclusively, when the website disappears - the encrypted posts just eat usenet providers' hard disk space uselessly. If you can't find something specific please let me know at alexbirj at gmail dot com what exactly you can't find for me to check how it is possible to retain the posts. Non-obfuscated posts shouldn't be affected at all, let me know if you notice anything missing.

29 Nov 23: The search protocol had to be upgraded to extend 3 byte (16M+) limit on the server side for number of sets per instance, so at least the version 5.8.3 is needed to access it, otherwise should be no any difference.
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Hi, just FYI; I have been getting a lot of errors using the search as of late.
This has been on and off for over a week. I cannot remember it may be longer. I usually try again later and it works but it has been down more than up.

I get the error:

Search Failed

EDIE: Nope, I am still getting this at times.
alex

Post by alex »

check your firewall, maybe it blocks dns requests.

you may try to put the server ip instead of the server name directly into properties->general->search/import, find ip e.g. through resolving the server name through some online dns resolver, the ip didn't change for a year so it is pretty invariable, but it may change since formally it is not a static ip.

e.g. use

http://network-tools.com

you can verify there the dns is resolved properly.
wendoxin

Re: Cannot find server or DNS error (UE:20002)

Post by wendoxin »

Why they keep DNS server and Mail client Server is placed outside the intranet of a company? Is there any particular reason to place the DNS server and Mail client Server outside of a company what would be a validate of the above problem?

Re:

Post by Terry »

Right now I'm getting a lot of DNS errors.
8 out of 10 times I get the DNS error. I didn't change any firewall setting in between searches.

alex wrote:you may try to put the server ip instead of the server name directly into properties->general->search/import, find ip e.g. through resolving the server name through some online dns resolver, the ip didn't change for a year so it is pretty invariable, but it may change since formally it is not a static IP.
Alex, is that option still available in v4.4?

Code: Select all

Client:       Usenet Explorer v4.9.3 - 64 bit (registered)
Anti Virus:   Avast Premium - 64 bit (updated daily)
Firewall:     Avast Premium - 64 bit (updated daily)
Usenet:       Eweka
alex

Post by alex »

Normally it should work, I don't experience problems searching from 3 completely different locations and servers have search counters which more or less the same, so it doesn't appear that particular server location is affected.

There may be an issue with routing from your location to one search service location, look what server number it shows in the error message if random numbers only in one range of those two: (1) to (4) / (5) to (9) this is likely the case.
Terry

Post by Terry »

It's not a structural problem but sometimes the error pops up often for an hour.
If it's really a proble with a DNS server entering the IP may be the easy solution.

Code: Select all

Client:       Usenet Explorer v4.9.3 - 64 bit (registered)
Anti Virus:   Avast Premium - 64 bit (updated daily)
Firewall:     Avast Premium - 64 bit (updated daily)
Usenet:       Eweka
alex

Post by alex »

look at the number it shows it in parentheses.

e.g.

Search failed (2)

Search failed (5)

if the number is only in one of those two ranges 1 to 4 or 5 to 9 it may be some routing problem not related to your setup. if you see numbers in both ranges e.g. when you make searches you see one time (3) and another time (7) it is probably something on your side.