Search Failed (9) - v4.5 & earlier not used after mid-April

03 Oct 23: One server was relocated, the server currently doesn't have a public IP address since in the meantime it is running on starlink. I wrote some additional tunnel code running separately to handle this. When the server is engaged the connection is 5600+ days uniform (since around 24 July 2008). In the unlikely case I disengaged the server because of some problem the retention is 1200-3800 days depending on newsgroup. If you experience any issue please let me know.

29 Nov 23: Because of encrypted and obfuscated posts flood mass posted by a few nzb indexing websites using usenet servers as private storage for their members to download the posts - the situation with the content is pretty chaotic since their purpose is to post in such a way, so users must use their website exclusively, when the website disappears - the encrypted posts just eat usenet providers' hard disk space uselessly. If you can't find something specific please let me know at alexbirj at gmail dot com what exactly you can't find for me to check how it is possible to retain the posts. Non-obfuscated posts shouldn't be affected at all, let me know if you notice anything missing.

29 Nov 23: The search protocol had to be upgraded to extend 3 byte (16M+) limit on the server side for number of sets per instance, so at least the version 5.8.3 is needed to access it, otherwise should be no any difference.
Black76

Search Failed (9) - v4.5 & earlier not used after mid-April

Post by Black76 »

I'm getting "Search Failed (9)" since yesterday - could you check?

Thanks.
therumour

Re: Search Failed (9)

Post by therumour »

I'm getting Search Failed (9) since around 1:30 AM Eastern US (2/17) :(

- Vince
Zen

Post by Zen »

Me too; hopefully just a temporary outage
alex

Post by alex »

There was a routing issue between providers, from one I couldn't access another, it was resolved by itself, all should work now.
Gene1940

Post by Gene1940 »

I don't use the search feature very often, but I've tried several times in the past month or so and it always fails with Search Failed (9). I even downloaded the latest UE version (4.5 64-bit), but that didn't help.

The message is confusing to me: "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it." That doesn't sound like a routing problem.
alex

Post by alex »

The current version is v4.7

There were some changes, if you didn't use search since around April, 10, v4.5 will return the error.

You can still use v4.5 after invoking edit menu->properties->search/import, reset configuration.

v4.7 works automatically in such a case, what I changed when all servers are down UE will try to update configuration, in older versions it was only the case if search service was partially responsive.