Avoiding downloading "supersedes"

John Galt

Avoiding downloading "supersedes"

Post by John Galt »

I'm still not really understanding filters. Can someone please tell me how I can avoid downloading anything with a "supersede" in the message-id? Some of the newsgroups are now being flooded with people superseding valid messages with junk, and I want to stop those messages *before* they overwrite the messages in my newsreader. Do I do a kill filter? What would that look like?

Thanks very much in advance.
alex

Post by alex »

supercedes or other spam (not necessarily a supercede header must be in headers, it is rather an accidental attribute of a certain spam bot) don't overwrite newspro headers; in newspro you can kill filter by message-id but usually the message-id consists of random characters, supercede is another header that is not available when you are downloading headers.

if you have all valid headers along with spam there is a good chance that newspro will pick up right bodies, so first ensure you have everything before you mark messages for download.

you can disable partial autosupport in the partials menu and check whether it is the case; if you see something that can single out such messages (e.g. certain substring in the message-id) you can kill such future message-ids with a kill filter (properties->kill filters) and delete the rest e.g. with a global filter, but usually such message-ids are random.
JohnGalt

Re: supersedes

Post by JohnGalt »

Thanks Alex, I guess I misunderstood what was happening. I've used a proxy in the past that has allowed me to filter out any messages that are attempting to supersede previous messages (that is, any message that has supersede in its message header). I know there are valid uses for supersede, but they are rarely used. Some idiots out there are reading the newsgroups for valid messages, and sending up supersede messages that have the effect of making it impossible to assemble and save the binaries that the original messages contained.

When you attempt to save the attachment that is indicated by the header that NewsPro has assembled, it either saves garbage, or nothing at all. By completely ignoring the supersede messages before they even hit the database using a proxy, things work great. The proxy, however, only handles one thread at a time, so I was hoping that perhaps there would be a way to do this within NewsPro itself. You're right, there is nothing in particular about the header information (some of it is random), other than the fact that there is (somewhere in there, anyway), the word "supersede", which would indicate to me that I'd like to ignore the header altogether.

So if I understand you properly, this isn't possible within NewsPro at this time. Thanks anyway. I still derive great value from NewsPro in those groups that don't have idiot spammers. Thanks for a great product.
alex

Post by alex »

I added an option to abort download while downloading a body if an article header field match a pattern, it could help (was thinking about adding it for some time):

You can download the file here:

http://www.netwu.com/newspro/npr362reg.hkf.zip (registered)

http://www.netwu.com/newspro/npr362tr.hkf.zip (trial)

the option is in properties->articles, header kill filter, I added 'supercedes:' as default.

usually newspro filters out such posts if you have original complete posts (articles in the database don't get overwritten since supercedes have different message-ids).

it is the only place where it is realistically possible to filter out arbitrary headers.