REQ : 3 New Features

kray

REQ : 3 New Features

Post by kray »

Hello Alex,
first of all, I'd like to tell you that Newspro is simply the best software ever made in its category, I really mean what I say.

I have 3 features to request, they may sound silly or pointless but i think they might be useful...at least for me ;)

1- Put the name of the keyword for a group with several views (filtered) in the Windows list, for example :
instead of displaying this :
alt.binaries.misc (A)
alt.binaries.misc (B)
alt.binaries.misc (C)
I think it's better to display this :
alt.binaries.misc (any)
alt.binaries.misc (key)
alt.binaries.misc (word)

2- Sort article task queue by date

This new feature is great but would be more complete if you could add another option to sort it also by group, like this :
Sort article task queue by date and by group
this option would be nice because some groups are more active than others.

3- Group all files with the same subject and containing attachment in 1 line, example :
This is a great movie==>movie.mpg[001/122]
This is a great movie==>movie.mpg[002/122]
This is a great movie==>movie.mpg[.../122]
This is a great movie==>movie.mpg[121/122]
This is a great movie==>movie.mpg[122/122]
Show this (only 1 line instead of 122 lines) :
This is a great movie==>movie.mpg[122]
with a blue square on the left when all files are available
with a red square on the left when some files are missing

That's all, if some explanations are not clear, please let me know, i'll try to explain it differently ;)

Thanks again.
I really hope to see these features soon :)
Ray
alex

Post by alex »

more intelligent sorts are questionable since they will slow down the performance significantly for large groups with more complex implementation, the tendency is that the newsgroup volume is only growing. besides, there is no strict standard on the subject lines.

a newsgroup filter may contain different conditions but maybe just to add a user-defined title for views somehow or when a filter has only one condition just to add it to the title automatically.
kray

Post by kray »

Thanks for your reply :)

I didn't really understand the part about the filter, is it possible to display the keyword(s) in the Windows list ? Are you gonna implemented in a newer version :oops: ?

thanks again for your quick reply.
Ray
alex

Post by alex »

it is possible to change the title of a view (as a context menu option), but i don't know whether i'll go for it shortly, most people don't use multiple views heavily, also switching views is very fast since the newsgroup is already open, ctrl-w and click a view.
Pegleg

Post by Pegleg »

Hi Alex, Hi Kray

Alex first thanks for a great program,
I don't think the next task can be done, but here goes -

I feel Kray is asking for something I also would like but possibly created in a different way.
When I look at the subject window (sorted by author) I see groups of subjects

Best of Emerson Lake & Palmer - 01 Hoedown.mp3(*/23) Author
Best of Emerson Lake & Palmer - 02 Luckman.mp3(*/30) Author
Best of Emerson Lake & Palmer - 03 Karn Evil.mp3(*/31) Author
Best of Emerson Lake & Palmer - 04 Jerusalem.mp3(*/9) Author

Now I would like to be able to see
+ Best of Emerson Lake [4] Author

So the filter would say, if the first n characters of the authors are the same (5) and the first n characters of the subject (20 in this case) then group headings.
Sort of the ability to create imaginary threads according to subject and author.
Click on the + expands the thread

Second request should be a bit easier.
Newsfeed.com now has some very long retention periods and "natural" causes massive databases. Could you please add to the available retention periods list, 7-60, 30-60, or even 90 days or the ability to define our own.
Thanks
Pegleg
inuyasha

Post by inuyasha »

Pegleg wrote:
When I look at the subject window (sorted by author) I see groups of subjects

Best of Emerson Lake & Palmer - 01 Hoedown.mp3(*/23) Author
Best of Emerson Lake & Palmer - 02 Luckman.mp3(*/30) Author
Best of Emerson Lake & Palmer - 03 Karn Evil.mp3(*/31) Author
Best of Emerson Lake & Palmer - 04 Jerusalem.mp3(*/9) Author

Now I would like to be able to see
+ Best of Emerson Lake [4] Author

So the filter would say, if the first n characters of the authors are the same (5) and the first n characters of the subject (20 in this case) then group headings.
Sort of the ability to create imaginary threads according to subject and author.
Click on the + expands the thread

Pegleg
I have to say I fail to see the point of this request. If you're looking for stuff by Emerson Lake, you can find it using search and or filtering it.
What you ask would end up you seeing

+ Requesting Britney Spears [10] Someone posting Best of Emerson Lake
+ Here is what I have [6] Useless poster
+ Amazing songs [257] Goddamn spammer

How is this informative in any possible way?
Pegleg

Post by Pegleg »

Hi inuyasha

For me you answer your own question at the end of your post
"
+ Requesting Britney Spears [10] Someone posting Best of Emerson Lake
+ Here is what I have [6] Useless poster
+ Amazing songs [257] Goddamn spammer

How is this informative in any possible way?

"

It's readable
I'm not looking for anything specifically, just trying to condense the information I'm getting from the news-server into a more usable form.

I don't know who's news server you use, I subscribe to news feeds.
If you download the headers from

alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.complete_cd (currently 514,550 headers)
combined in a subfolder with
alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.full_albums (168,142 headrs)

newspro does an excellent job of combining message parts
but even after I have filtered out anything under 50 lines and as much spam as possible its still 30,000 messages.

With a large screen and a small font I can get 60 messages per page
thats 500 pages.
Working on 12 tracks per average CD plus some rubbish using the requested filter brings it down to a managable about 75 pages.

You could say, don't combine groups, but thats a great plus of newspro
you could say, don't keep so many headers, but if they are on the server, why not, thats the great plus of newsfeeds.

As more and more news servers get longer and longer retentions (and hard disks are getting larger and cheaper by the day) this facility is going to become a need.
kray

Post by kray »

Hi Pegleg,

I think you have explained it all, it's exactly what i'm looking for : something more readable whenever I want to clic on the "+" sign. And I agree with you that soon it's gonna be a need.

So please Alex, when you feel like it and when you get the time, try to develope this interesting feature, many thanks in advance for your tremendous work and long life to Newspro !!
Ray
Smeo00

Post by Smeo00 »

I think you have explained it all, it's exactly what i'm looking for : something more readable whenever I want to clic on the "+" sign. And I agree with you that soon it's gonna be a need.
So please Alex, when you feel like it and when you get the time, try to develope this interesting feature, many thanks in advance for your tremendous work and long life to Newspro !!
I'd also greatly appreciate Peglegs feature!
Hope this adds weight to the req and thanks Alex for a great piece of kit!

Smeo.