Prevent download from specific groups for Get by MID-servers

joerg

Prevent download from specific groups for Get by MID-servers

Post by joerg »

If I select "get by MID" for a server, NewsPro tries to download every article from that server, regardless of whether or not the group is attached to the server.
What I would like is being able to tell NewsPro, that a "Get by MID"-Server does not have a specific group (or I do not want to download binaries from a specific group from that server), so I don't hammer servers for articles, which I know they don't have (because they _really_ don't have the group).
slotboxed

Post by slotboxed »

can't you detach that server from that group?

every subscribed group in your list has a sub-list of attached servers in tree fashion. find the server in question, right-click it and select Detach the Server(s) from the NewsGroup above.
joerg

Post by joerg »

Doesn't help for "Get by MID"-Servers - they will attempt to download everything, regardless whether or not they're attached to a group. That's what I was "complaining" about!
alex

Post by alex »

currently restricting message-id direct servers to certain newsgroups would result in some overhead, especially when newspro reviews all tasks in the article queue every 1 min, say with 10000 articles in the queue and 20 groups with 200000 articles each it will take about 1.4m comparisons. in principle it is fast enough and so acceptable but from other point as things stand now there is no significant bandwidth overhead or delay since the current method just queues articles faster through all message-id direct servers than they can be possibly downloaded, so no real problem results.