[FR] Use server 'X' only for failed articles

tijgert

[FR] Use server 'X' only for failed articles

Post by tijgert »

Feature request: Allow failed articles only to be downloaded from 1 (or more) specific server(s).

Reason:
Besides provider servers and no-limit payservers there are also limited bandwidth-per-Dollar servers.
These servers usually have much greater retention and I personally have 1 to get those few parts that failed on the rest.

Since the download there is measured one would ONLY like to download articles from this server that failed on ALL other servers.
Unfortunately, even with reduced priority the expensive last-resort MB-for-Dollar server is used eventually which may drain all your alotted download bandwidth.

Request:
Please make an option so that one can 'nominate' a server for all failed articles to be downloaded from and ONLY the failed articles.
alex

Post by alex »

are you using server priorities right?

if you mark all servers with higher priority "strict" newspro will use lower-priority servers only when everything else falied.

also you can uncheck "ignore priorities for maxed servers" in properties->general, so even when the download limit is reached newspro won't try lower-priority servers.

so just check the strict option (just check it for all servers if you like).
tijgert

Post by tijgert »

Mmm... I did use it once and it just downloaded from my limited pay server anyway, but that was a while ago.

Come to think of it, I don't rememeber the 'strict' box with enabling the server priorities back then.

I'll give it a try, thanks for the quick response.
alex

Post by alex »

just i need to change it so the strict box will be checked by default for a new server (even when priorities are disabled and the option doesn't matter). it seems that when using priorities more frequently users prefer the option checked (unchecked means better utilizing of connection, checked - minimizing bandwidth from lower priority servers).