Zero files

Rodent

Zero files

Post by Rodent »

As you may know, Agent can create what is called a "zero file" (00/xx)when you post an attachment, which contain only the text comment accompanying the file. This is very handy, since you then can read the comment (e.g. telling you what's actually in the attachement) without having to download the (perhaps very large) attachement first.

I've been unable to find such an option in NewsPro. Am I blind, or is there just not such an option. If not, could it be implemented?

I know that I can attach a text file as attachment 01/01, but it is a bit troublesome. It's much easier just typing the text into the message editor, and then check a "Send text as zero file" box.

thanks,
Rodent
alex

Post by alex »

it is only in theory.

in practice most zero files are just junk.

sometimes one sees a post with a zero file accompanying every partial, so half entries in the header list are superfluous.

currently newspro adds text before encoded data in the first part, in principle it could be an option if there is a text to put it in zero file.

if it is zero file per every partial it doesn't make sense, so then it should be per bunch of files, so then when one file is posted it should still put the file number [0/1] [1/1].

.nfo files are quite handy for this purpose, if i'm not wrong it is most frequently used method to describe a large post content.
Rodent

Post by Rodent »

alex wrote:it is only in theory.

in practice most zero files are just junk.

sometimes one sees a post with zero file accompanying every partial, so half entries in the header list are unreasonable.
I know, but that's basically because people don't know how to configure their software. These post were common a few years ago, but in my experience, in the groups I access, they have become rare, for whatever reason. When used, and they are used quite often in most binary groups, zero files are ususally used properly and are quite helpful.

alex wrote: currently newspro adds text before encoded data in the first part, in principle it could be an option if there is a text to put it in zero file.

if it is zero file per every partial it doesn't make sense, so then it should be per bunch of files, so then when one file is posted it should still put the file number [0/1] [1/1].
That's what I meant, yes. One zero file per post with attachments, no matter if there are many attachments or just one.

alex wrote:.nfo files are quite handy for this purpose, if i'm not wrong it is most frequently used method to describe a large post content.
.nfo files are nothing but text files in a slightly different format (ASCII?).

One of the problems with them is that the .nfo suffix by default is associated with the windows system info file viewer, which then pops up with an error when you try to open them, unless you have reassociated the .nfo suffix with an appropriate viewer.

The NewsPro editor/viewer opens them fine, but I don't think many other newsreaders has such an editor (Agent does not).

Common .txt files are better, IMO, they usually open fine in any environment. But whether .nfo or.txt, both are a bit cumbersome to create and include. Using the NewsPro message editor and the option for sending the content in a zero file would be a much better solution, IMO.

Rodent