[REQ] Disable header tasks on bandwidth limit

butterball

[REQ] Disable header tasks on bandwidth limit

Post by butterball »

Ok, I know this is probably getting a little annoying ;). Anyway, as nobody really seems to like my idea of disabling article tasks on a per server basis, what about the same but only on reaching certain bandwidth limits.
Same scenarion, I have Easynews on priority one AND use it for getting headers for all my Newsfeeds Premium Plus servers. I don´´t want to hit the limit on Easynews too soon, so an option to disable header tasks when e.g. 200megs worth of articles are downloaded would be great. Right now (as I am typing this) Newspro is pulling articles from Easynews because the limit on the Newsfeeds servers was reached. I would love NP to just stop and wait till the limit is reset but as it is setup now (with all the strict priorities) it just grabs from Easynews whatever it can...
edfreeman

Post by edfreeman »

Pretty sure you can do that yourself with a setting on the general tab of the properties box. There's one that says "Ignore priorities for maxed servers" and it is checked by default. If you uncheck it, the program will wait until the maxed servers reset.
butterball

Post by butterball »

Yes, but...

if I have different priorities with the strict setting among the NF servers, this won´t work, right? Ok, so I´ll uncheck "strict". Now it works but will Easynews still get headers if I do it this way? I guess only when the NF servers reset, right?
alex

Post by alex »

yes i missed the option, indeed, if it is checked, after maxing newsfeeds servers newspro would turn to easynews.

downloading headers is not affected by the option, server priorities are for downloading bodies
edfreeman

Post by edfreeman »

I'm not sure why you're running different priorities on your Newsfeeds servers . . . You're right, if you have a setup like that, the behavior will be just as you describe. But if you'll set them all the same, it will work the way you want it to.
butterball

Post by butterball »

edfreeman wrote:I'm not sure why you're running different priorities on your Newsfeeds servers . . . You're right, if you have a setup like that, the behavior will be just as you describe. But if you'll set them all the same, it will work the way you want it to.
I know. And if there´s no way I get want I want (j/k) I´ll set them all to the same priority. I just like to have all other servers tried before the specialty servers are touched (I don´t have unlimited, just Premium Plus).
Tha*Lunat!k

Post by Tha*Lunat!k »

I used to have the specialty servers at a lower priority than the rest, but now that there are east/west versions of each specialty server most groups seem to be carried mainly by specialty servers with goliath-east/west, anonymous, and spamkiller in the mix as well. I find that just leaving them all the same priority, for my needs anyway, gives each server pretty much even use. Thus far I haven't had any specialty server max out when I really needed to make use of its longer retention.
[img]http://graphics.thalunatik.com/sig6.png[/img]
butterball

Post by butterball »

Tha*Lunat!k wrote:I used to have the specialty servers at a lower priority than the rest, but now that there are east/west versions of each specialty server most groups seem to be carried mainly by specialty servers with goliath-east/west, anonymous, and spamkiller in the mix as well. I find that just leaving them all the same priority, for my needs anyway, gives each server pretty much even use. Thus far I haven't had any specialty server max out when I really needed to make use of its longer retention.
I think that´s what I will do from now on. Thanks for your input, guys.