Usenet Explorer

Forums
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:15 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Temp folder
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:12 pm 

Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:23 pm
Posts: 90
I experience over and over again when opening a ZIP file in NewsPro and want to open a readme file or something in the zip, that I get this message:

WinZip can't find E:/Data/NewsPro9/Temp/xxxxx.zip

It seems NewsPro deletes the files in the temp folder about every 30 seconds or so, which is way too fast IMO. Is there any way I can change that to say 5 or 10 minutes?

I know I can disable deletion completely. but I'm not interested in that, just something in between these two extremes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:01 pm 

Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 4375
newspro gives at least a minute before deleting a freshly created temporary file, probably winzip doesn't lock the file so you can delete it even when while it is being opened in winzip (it means winzip just reads the index and closes the file so no way to detect it is opened in winzip).

there is an option properties->general->autoclear temp dir - rightmost column under the 'bugs' button. so all what you need is just to uncheck it.

newspro will still clear temp dir between launches, since otherwise the files would accumulate indefinitely.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:53 am 

Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:23 pm
Posts: 90
alex wrote:
newspro gives at least a minute before deleting a freshly created temporary file, probably winzip doesn't lock the file so you can delete it even when while it is being opened in winzip (it means winzip just reads the index and closes the file so no way to detect it is opened in winzip).


That's not correct according to my experience - if anything, it seems that NewsPro clears the temp folder once a minute or so. Very often the file is deleted just a few seconds after you have opened it, or even immediately after. Often when I open PDF files with Acrobat Pro, which is very slow in starting up (25-30 seconds on a 2.8 ghz), the program says "can't find file" when it finally opens, because NewsPro has already deleted it.

How about setting the interval to e.g. 5 minutes instead? That would greatly reduce this problem, without causing any other problems as far as I can see.

alex wrote:
there is an option properties->general->autoclear temp dir - rightmost column under the 'bugs' button. so all what you need is just to uncheck it.

newspro will still clear temp dir between launches, since otherwise the files would accumulate indefinitely.


I'm aware of that, but often I have the program open for days and sometimes open many very large files which will accumulate and take up a lot of diskspace, so it's not a very good solution.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:51 pm 

Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 4375
as i remember when you launch attachment it skips the next temp directory cleaning, so there is at least one minute to start the application.

i'll look how to increase the time (maybe in a week or so since right now i'm working on a critical topic), i guess the motivation for one minute interval was smaller hard drive capacity back then - to reduce the risk of full disk.

also you can disable cleaning the temp directory alltogether - see above, so newspro only will clear it between launches, is it not good enough?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:08 am 

Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:23 pm
Posts: 90
alex wrote:
as i remember when you launch attachment it skips the next temp directory cleaning, so there is at least one minute to start the application.


Well that's not what I experience. Sometimes it takes only a few seconds before the file is deleted. I assume that's if you open the file right at the end of the 1 minute cycle.

alex wrote:
i'll look how to increase the time (maybe in a week or so since right now i'm working on a critical topic), i guess the motivation for one minute interval was smaller hard drive capacity back then - to reduce the risk of full disk.


Thanks, that would be great.


alex wrote:
also you can disable cleaning the temp directory alltogether - see above, so newspro only will clear it between launches, is it not good enough?


I already commented that, see my previous post.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group