Newsserver astraweb.com slow to start downloading sometimes

jonib

Newsserver astraweb.com slow to start downloading sometimes

Post by jonib »

Hi

I'm wondering if anybody is using astraweb.com as their newsserver and have noticed that the article tasks sometimes gets stuck for a long time before starting to download?

I have been downloading a lot today and it is getting really annoying when stuff should be finished and having to wait for a long time, I'm not sure when it started.

I don't believe this is UEs fault, I hope its OK to ask here?

jonib
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

Astraweb were always a bit flaky for me, even with the closer Euro server, so I switched. The best place to look for current news (their status page is usually weeks/months old) is on the NewsBin Pro forums where SteveF is the official Astraweb rep. A couple of recent threads at the top of that forum mention slow speeds. You might want to add their other servers if you haven't already done so, just to round everything out. I always found the US servers were faster for me even though the Euro one should have been - make of that what you will...

Possibly could have posted this in the Other forum though. :wink:
jonib

Post by jonib »

Thank you Josef K for the link it was very informative.

Astraweb has worked very good for me upto 2MB/s and 120+ retension so I have been satisfied mostly, I am using all three servers.

Based on your link it seems the US server has problems so I'll test using only the euro server.

What server did you change to?

jonib
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

Really, all you should need to do (if you do anything at all) is to adjust the priorities, putting the Euro server higher than the problematic one. Having said that, you know your own setup better than I do.

I switched to Ngroups.net. For the price it's:

A decent enough speed (I schedule through the night so I don't notice too much, faster are people like Giganews but they demand your first born every month as payment)

Good retention, three servers (US, Euro, SSL) so add them all at the same priority and let UE fly.

No idea what their customer support are like because I've never had to deal with them. Maybe that means the service is good...

You can try their sister site and buy a block account to test with.
jonib

Post by jonib »

Thanks I'll check it out.

jonib